Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Multiple 3D Glasses=Decent Safety?

iewed

I was reading the other threads about the 3D Glasses for laser safety, so I was thinking what if you "combined" multiple 3D glasses? You would have 2 pairs, You would keep one the way it is, and the other you would cut out each "lense", you put the cut-out red on the unaltered blue, and the cut-out blue on the unaltered red. This way each eye is somewhat protected against an accidental (No longer than 2 seconds) reflection. This would only be effective as long as the moment you where hit by the laser you turned it off and blinked (which I would assume most people would). And as long as the laser is below 150mW. Plus you could always add more protection by adding more glasses. Or you could buy several pairs and just make 1 red protective pair and one green protective pair. I'll try to get some 3D Glasses and make the individual pairs and let you guys know how it works out. But minimal safety is better than no safety.

iewed

If I can't find these for cheap in a store, once I get the money I'll buy something like these and try different types of glasses.

it's just not worth it, i feel that if you can't afford goggles you shouldn't buy the laser

iewed

Some people would still buy a high powered laser and not the glasses, this at least offers some (though not a lot) of protection from an accidental situation.

they do actually provide some protection but it also leads to somewhat of a false sense of safety, goggles are only $40 each from wicked + $20 shipping which while it is expensive is worth the money if you plan on doing much with lasers

Razako

If you can afford a $100+ laser you can afford a $40 pair of safety goggles.

ixfd64

Given that Wicked often makes products of questionable quality, I wouldn't fully trust its goggles, even though they are adequate for low-powered lasers. For higher-powered lasers, I'd recommend getting them from NoIR.*

* Note: I've never purchased from NoIR, but I've heard that its goggles are very good.

Professional glasses with a certificate and a stamp on the lenses are the best bet, granted they can cost upwards of $200 US. Usually these suppliers are for the medical industry. But If a doctor uses a laser daily for work, you know he wants the best. I have 2 eyes and even if I don't view a laser 40 hours a week, I also want the best. I hope everyone values their sight and chooses the best too. That said, I guess if you test your glasses by shining your laser through them and watch via a camera/monitor, you may come to the conclusion that you trust the pair (s) you use.

I do not condone or suggest that method, but it is better then no testing on some pair sent from some country with no standards or testing.

I error on caution, and just buy what is reputable. Seems the only RIGHT choice for me.

SN

No lighting gel or coloured cellophane stands a chance against a laser. I tried a 100mw red on blue cellophane, it fricken lit it on fire. DO NOT RISK YOUR EYES (or eyebrows in case of fire) WHEN YOU COULD SAVE THEM FOR $40. it's a ONE TIME expense that will last you many years of assured safety to go and buy a quality pair of goggles.

Things

Yep, fully agree with blue, if you cant afford goggles, how can you afford a laser??

I know im probably going to get bashed for saying this but oh well :D

If you want some cheap goggles, get some dewalt red enhancing goggles, they are meant to enhance a red laser but block green to what seems around od5, they block much more light than my nova goggles which to me is an advantage since its much easeir to see where it focuses down. In a burn test for them i held my x65 (91mw average) to them and in 3 minutes it didnt burn thu them (i had my laser on a tec so i could keep it on that long).

So in all if its the choice between no goggles or goggles its best to get these.

..lazer... ;D ;D ;D

iewed

I tried the red lens of a pair of 3D glasses out on my 30mW DX laser, it blocked the actual "dot" from passing through, but a bunch of the "other green light" through. I'm not real sure on how to explain it, but I think it's the light from a dirty lens.
I guess this thread can be locked and drift to the bottom of the forum now.

SMIDSY

LOL I had the same Idea as this,

I2 layers of the glasses seem to offer simela protection from diffuse reflections as my WL glasses...

BUT I want someone to confirm my thoughts...