Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

multiple 16x red diode light saber

Lumify

I say that with millions of dollars it is possible. If you had millions of dollars to throw around, you could literally create the technology to do this. I'm sure people said that these relatively inexpensive, tiny 12x blu-ray diodes were completely impossible 10 years ago, but with all of the money that corporations have to pour into these projects, it became possible. If you had billions of dollars, you could probably power the thing with a small nuclear reactor. The moral of the story is that anything is possible (with enormous amounts of money).

So, by calling us negative by trying to save you money, do you yell at your coupons? The fact is, that 650mA WILL KILL your diodes. 500 would kill them. People run them at around 400 for a reason. And the reason that them all being next to eachother is an issue, is because they produce a lot of heat. With no heatsinking, they will all produce heat in such a close space that you will have a duty cycle of like 2 seconds....if that, or else you risk the diodes using eachother as heatsinks and dyeing super quick. And, like Morgan said, losing one will cause you to lose all of them, and $200+ with it.

Hahaha I loved blooms post. But they are all correct, this won't work. I promise, I've tried something similar.

Lumify

If anyone figures out how to bend light without using any sort of substance, but through some other force, tell me. You could probably do this with a small black hole... Otherwise you would need something to reflect or absorb the light at the end so it doesn't go on into infinity. Most lightsaber proposals I have seen use plasma.

If anyone figures out how to bend light without using any sort of substance, but through some other force, tell me. You could probably do this with a small black hole... Otherwise you would need something to reflect or absorb the light at the end so it doesn't go on into infinity. Most lightsaber proposals I have seen use plasma.

Yes, I know of something, but I guess it is considered a 'substance', but not directly. Are you familiar with the substance 'LSD'? It's quite common at informal human gatherings, especially those pertaining to trance music.

psy_elev.gif Flying%20Skulls%20Illusion.gif

Last edited:

Lumify

YES! I know now! Just take a 1 mW red, do some LSD, and point it around! As long as you keep doing the acid, you'll have your very own lightsaber. If you don't want to use drugs, you could head over to your nearest Home Depot and grab yourself a wormhole generator. Just set it so that the mouth of the wormhole is where you want the beam to end, and presto, you have yourself a lightsaber. I'm not quite sure where the rest of the beam would go though... :thinking:

Keep on making your same OLD stuff people. 10 years from now you'll still be making copy cat laser pens LOL!

Ok, jackass. Try to make your insane lasersabre. Then come post here when all 10 diodes blow at the exact same time, the very second you turn it on.

LOL at an idiot who can't even figure out how to wire diodes in series.

Lasers can only do so much at this point in time, mabye in 10 years we'll be able to make a lasersabre, but it can't be done now.

Keep on making your same OLD stuff people. 10 years from now you'll still be making copy cat laser pens LOL!

You know what, do it. Do what you want, and if it works, I will praise you. But it's doubtful at best.

PS: Read my signature (the first part) you'll see why I'm 'negative'.

mfo

Man, can we ban the discussion of lightsabers on these forums? It's getting really old now.

Lumify

I don't see much of a point to using lasers in a lightsaber when you could just have an infinite range. Why limit your weapon's capability to only destroying whatever is 5 feet in front of you? Even if you realized that you can't shove that much current through those diodes, the beams would go on forever. They wouldn't just stop at the tip of the lightsaber.

Even with 9 LOCs, perfectly aligned and focused, running at 600mA and not dying, this thing would not destroy anything. There still would not be enough power. A 20W CO2 tube doesn't even have enough power to "destroy" anything.

Something like a lightsabre is not possible, even if you allowed it to go on forever. There is no way to get that much cutting power from a laser.

Lumify

Man, can we ban the discussion of lightsabers on these forums? It's getting really old now.
Old topics are still fun when you're on acid. :p

I think there are 1kW CO2 lasers used for industrial purposes out there. You could put some of those together and focus them at a point if you really wanted.

I've seen a 1500W CO2 laser in action, and it still wouldn't vaporize stuff like a lightsabre :D

Are you implying that you are on acid? What are you doing on a forum on acid? Geez...