Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MS-SSW + DTR module question.

Wmacky

I'm in the process of pressing my DTR 445 module into my MS-SSW head, but just noticed an issue. The module appears to long? At least it is with the rear aluminum extension tube screwed to the front copper part. It appears it will collide with the pill.

Looking at the hulk build, it aqppears DTR did not use the Rear heat sink, but rather the small copper module only? Kinda hard to tell if he did that or cut the rear tube shorter for clarence.

I guess if I remove the rear module tube I lose the diode back heat sinking it offers? Can I remove the tube? Mine came preassembled by DTR, and it's very tight, and doesn't want to budge? Could it be glued to the back of the diode with thermal adhesive?

Hoping for comment for my fellow MS-SSW builders!

I have not used the MS-SSW but I know this issue exists with at least 3 other hosts and probably more. In other hosts you can drill the pill or leave off the rear part of the module. I had to remove the rear part of the module for an M140 in a C6. Hopefully someone familiar with the MS-SSW will comment on this.

sinner

For the MS-SSW you have to heatsink the driver to the pill, the module (with back part on) will not fit. Pi-R is correct, the only way you could accomplish this is by drilling the pill with atleast a 13mm drill-bit exactly in the centre to let the back part of module and wiring pass through the drilled hole.

Wmacky

For the MS-SSW you have to heatsink the driver to the pill, the module (with back part on) will not fit. Pi-R is correct, the only way you could accomplish this is by drilling the pill with atleast a 13mm drill-bit exactly in the centre to let the back part of module and wiring pass through the drilled hole.

Yes I'm using a separate Driver sinked to the pill. I'll need to remove the rear barrel from the module, but it appears stuck, or glued. Does DTR glue these? I don't want to rip wires loose forcing it!!!!

Sinner, I see in a MS build that you did that you used a module with a smaller sized rear section. Where did you get that?

Last edited:

DTR

Nope they are not glued just very tight to make the best thermal contact with the back of the diode. With enough grip it will unscrew. Don't drill anything on the host I think the previous posters were thinking about C6 builds it is not necessary in the MS-SSW.:beer:

Wmacky

Thanks, Thats what I needed to know. It broke free with a little extra force! So will the bare copper front section be enoughto heat sink? I've seen Sinner and others use a mini rear barrel?

DTR

Yep it will have better thermal conductivity with that or the mini back half but it is not a requirement.:)

Wmacky

Ok, I have a mini back on the way from DTR! thanks for all the help everyone. I'll go on to the other parts of this build. Now I just got to resist hooking it up as is! I fired the diode off for a couple seconds today using the new lab supply, and it's got my mouth watering!