Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mounting Laser Pointers to Tripod

Smo

So, forgive me for asking for help with my first post. But I did some googling and wasn't able to find any recent threads on this subject. The only one was from 10 years ago and all the links were broken.

Basically I'm thinking of mounting some laser pointers (possibly up to 4) to ball head tripod mounts mounted onto a sewing machine. It's a computerized machine that sews fixed patterns, so the idea is to have the laser pointers pointing at alignment positions for the pieces being sewn.

What I'm stuck on is how to actually mount the pointer onto the top of the ball head, in a secure way that will handle vibration (a LOT of vibration). I've found some DIY solutions but that's not something I have the time for.

My priorities are first and foremost a secure attachment that won't become loose or move. If the pointer were to move that would defeat the purpose, and if it were to fall into the sewing area it would not be pretty. Anyone have an idea? The best would be a pointer with a built in 1/4-20 thread to fit a standard tripod screw, but I haven't seen that anywhere.

I think I just need a standard laser and then find a mount for it. For the lasers themselves, I'm not too picky but I do need a pointer with a constant on/off switch. I found this one from Atlasnova. If anyone has other recommendations I'd be interested in hearing them:

https://www.atlasnova.com/product/atlasnova-635nm-red-laser-pointer-with-on-and-off-switch/

Thanks!

If you have a 3D printer, you can print it from you!
Just find and download the template (.stl)

Key-Search : Laser Tripod or Laser Stand !

I.M.O

Smo

Excellent! That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get by posting here. I don't know if I would've ever have learned those existed through my google searching. That definitely seems like the way to go - thanks!

And searching for "laser alignment module" on google got me to this page right away, which looks like exactly what I want as a complete off-the-shelf product:

Alignment Module System

Last edited:
It would be nice if you introduced yourself
to the Forum in the Welcome section.
Including your global location will help members
point you in the right direction when asking
questions.:yh:

Jerry

See how Techsew uses a line laser on their 2700 Pro sewing machine for some ideas.

Smo

See how Techsew uses a line laser on their 2700 Pro sewing machine for some ideas.

Neat! I figured someone must have already tried it. Although I haven't decided whether adding a laser line to a regular straight-stitch machine like that Techsew is actually worthwhile (my original plan was for a bar tacker that does pattern sewing).

But it is worth a try. Anything that reduces errors or speeds up training will pay for itself eventually. I found out that you can get a line-projecting laser at Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks, so I'll pick up one of those to experiment with on the regular machines.

On another note, I found a Canadian company selling alignment lasers with a 1/4-20 threaded mount (which is the standard for tripod heads):

https://www.laserglow.com/int-alignment.htm

That is likely what I'll go with for the bar tacker machine. It's ready to go for mounting on a tripod head, and shipping to the US isn't bad (I'm in Arizona).

My only concern right now is vibration loosening up the ball head mechanism over time. But I'll add some lock washers to the set screw and see if that holds it. If not I can abandon the tripod idea and go with a different bracket.

Last edited: