Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mother of all red diodes

Encap

That's my thinking, I've seen similar packages before for other LDs. Never for an LD.

Not to mention the position of the chip, an LED that large would be emitting for a large surface area, not the edge of the chip like an LD. Meaning that the chip would be rotated 90° so that the larger top surface of the chip is facing out, in the case of an LED.

Interested in seeing more, looks like a massively beefy LD. Wonder what the beam specs are like...

Looking at it more closely, I agree , it does appear to be a laser diode emitter or multiple emitter rather than an LED.

Perhaps grenadier will chime in with some answers as to what it is and original use, rather then leave everyone hanging/wondering.

Last edited:

Rivem

Not to mention the position of the chip, an LED that large would be emitting for a large surface area, not the edge of the chip like an LD. Meaning that the chip would be rotated 90° so that the larger top surface of the chip is facing out, in the case of an LED.

This is why I'm almost sure it's a laser diode, but I wish that photo had the diode tilted a bit more towards the camera so that all the silicon is visible.

I've seen a few diode array lasers like linked earlier in the ~10W area, but this one doesn't immediately look like one. You see that there are two beefy supply wires which means that there are probably only about 3 or fewer emitters. It probably at least has one massive multimode emitter considering how wide the base of that die is.

For most arrays, every separate medium will be connected on its own to protect the silicon and increase reliability.

Really wish grenadier didn't leave us hanging though. This is a really interesting diode.

I just saw there are more photo's, didn't see the last three before, now I see, duh.... laser.

Man, this thread is getting pretty long with just the OP from the originator. Wonder if he will even answer all the questions asked here.

Looks to be a cylindrical lens as a part of that unit. Can anyone think of a reason for an LED to use one? Probably a higher powered diode intended to be used as a projection light source. I know novalux has their necsel line intended for this purpose so it wouldn't surprise me to find out that another company was taking a different approach to this.

Still though, OP really needs to check on his thread before we all have to grab pitchforks and hunt him down for answers.