Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Most powerful 660nm laser?

If you already have doubts and know the ebay claims aren't accurate, why are you here asking about it?

Do a quick search. Aside from some hard to come by c-mounts, the lpc's are pretty much it for 650-660.

I wouldn't build 650-660 unless you just want a deeper color of red, or to burn stuff, 638 nm is much better as far as how bright it appears to the eye. Just seems this post is another one of those jump through a hoop HMT questions, since the information can be so easily found on the forum, lots of people are disappointed in the 840 diodes.

Um... Can you read? I'm not here just asking about that diode. I am asking what is the most powerful diode?

And what do you mean "why am I asking" that makes no sense what so ever.. I am asking because maybe I don't know Why else would I freaking ask?

Agreed. Especially with the 638's that can push over 1 watt out. Aside from the rare person wanting a deeper red, who asks about anything over 650 anymore? Especially seeing how all the data on the main diodes is a simple search away.

Edit: OP just earned a neg from me as soon as I'm back to the state I live in.

Last edited:
So now I am 'rare' person for liking a deeper wavelength ? We're labeling now over what wavelength someone likes? What in the hell? I don't know.

diachi

I don't know much about the red lasers what is the most powerful 650nm laser diode out there? I am looking for at least a 400mW.

Is the LPC-840 a good diode? It's claimed to reach 500mW on Ebay but I have doubts about that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi...541400&hash=item4b2ef7ba56:g:w5UAAOSw~vpaHjAj

I don't really see much good things about this diode so I have a feeling it might not be good then.

Most powerful 650-660 diode in existence? Most powerful that you can fit in a handheld? Most powerful at "X" budget range? Be more specific.

It has been around for years, has been thoroughly tested and discussed at length. Do some searching on your own.

https://goo.gl/8D3aiH

Last edited:
Well If you use your eyes god gave you and read my post. I said I wanted something at least 400mW in power. So that being said it answers your "be specific" smart ass reply. Gosh I guess you can't read either.

diachi

I said I wanted something at least 400mW in power. So that being said it answers your "be specific" smart ass reply.

No it doesn't.

All that tells me is that you want something >=400mW. That really doesn't narrow it down a whole lot. Does it need to fit in a handheld? How much do you want to spend? Any other requirements?

Being rude isn't going to get you very far. Smarten up.

Reactions: GSS
BTW If I have done searching myself on it then I would not be here asking about it. Im not stupid I know how to search this forum so I didn't get enough information on it. So don't give me that garbage.

Obviously people are getting offended for whatever reason I have no idea. All I asked was a simple question about a deeper red wavelength and I get labelled a rare person. This forum is a joke.

What do you want 660 nm for, because the diodes are cheap? I can understand that, I bought a dozen 840's myself. Warning about Ebay China sellers, they usually list those laser diodes at the max pulse output, the CW level we use for pointers are better run at half or less what they say when they do that. You can push them harder than half of the pulse power rating, but risk a short life span. I've seen successful reports of 350 mw CW output, but then other reports of failure at that power level. Although some have gotten away with pushing them that hard without a failure, unless you are looking for single mode 660 nm CW output at well under 400 mw, I'd look for something else.

That's my perspective.

Last edited:
Yeah mainly for something cheap. Only red laser diode I had looks like an 'LPC-826' could be wrong was from a cheap pen I got from techhood. I thought the 840 would be a more powerful diode. But really they all seem the same. Maxing out at only 350mW. I do admit I like the deeper red color but I guess there's not really much around for what I am looking for. That's cool though can try to max one out with a good lens I should get close to 400mW with one. Might give that a try.

Oclaro ~700 mw are also cheap and 638 nm which, power for power, is much brighter to the eye.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
What do you want 660 nm for, because the diodes are cheap? I can understand that, I bought a dozen 840's myself. Warning about Ebay China sellers, they usually list those laser diodes at the max pulse output, the CW level we use for pointers are better run at half or less what they say when they do that. You can push them harder than half of the pulse power rating, but risk a short life span. I've seen successful reports of 350 mw CW output, but then other reports of failure at that power level. Although some have gotten away with pushing them that hard without a failure, unless you are looking for single mode 660 nm CW output at well under 400 mw, I'd look for something else.

That's my perspective.

Yeah mainly for something cheap. Only red laser diode I had looks like an 'LPC-826' could be wrong was from a cheap pen I got from techhood. I thought the 840 would be a more powerful diode. But really they all seem the same. Maxing out at only 350mW. I do admit I like the deeper red color but I guess there's not really much around for what I am looking for. That's cool though can try to max one out with a good lens I should get close to 400mW with one. Might give that a try.

Alaskan pretty much sums it up here; there have been quite a few LPC's that have been pushed hard to reach 400mW and have lived, but I'd bet more die than live when pushed that hard.
As you've noticed, most are seeing 350mW or less, and the ones that are seeing >400mW, aren't seeing much more.

I have a LPC-826 build that has been doing 383mW for some time, and another member here (Pman) has done quite a few 826 builds that he has pushed hard, -Here- is one of his threads where he pushes one past 400mW, but not by a whole lot.

I have an LPC-840 doing close to 400 mW that has been working for three years now. I was going to build another eventually as I still have at least one in my stock. I think the driver may have a lot to do with how well they hold up. I used a continuous ground adjustable X-Drive on my other one, which cost about twice as much as the diode does. My goal was to push one to about 430 mW or kill it in the process.

I disliked the rude comments made here concerning this diode. That is not how we treat each other here. :(