Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

More info on the S1 lens?

I didn't know it was 8mm focal length, is that rear fl or centered because the G7 is 6-8mm rear fl and it's 1 turn from falling out of the module when focused up close with a 7875, with a m-140 it's 3 turns from the end because the 5.6 diodes emitter sits further back, the G7 does let a little more power through.

I have been waiting for my S1's for 6 weeks now, they supposedly shipped last week LOL.

EDIT Ok He is talking about G2 and 3 element, maybe center focal length.
The G2 has a rear FL of 2.39mm and the 3 element has a rear FL of 5.3mm while the G7 is about 8mm rear FL
I thought the S1 was a lot like the G2.
From what Steve said in post #24 it looks like it has a short focal length like the G2.
I got some of those Chinese G2 copies and they only focus down onto 5.6 diodes and the FL is even less than the G2, the focused line with the Chinese lens is longer than the real G2, the Chinese copy pretty much is useless at any distance and completely useless for 9mm diodes unless they have fixed it.
Now the S1's I ordered 6 weeks ago are coming from Israel, I hope I get them during 2015

Last edited:

Hi,
I ordered 2 of these S1's and there ok . it took about 32 days to get here from the Middle East. There shipping methods are horrendous from what i experienced. Maybe you will get better service i don't know.

Rich:)

Hi,
I ordered 2 of these S1's and there ok . it took about 32 days to get here from the Middle East. There shipping methods are horrendous from what i experienced. Maybe you will get better service i don't know.

I ordered on September 5th, It's been 7 weeks now.
I did get an email 5 weeks after I ordered saying they had shipped, lol.

Last edited:
Hi Red,
Did you get a tracking number? If so go to Track17.com you can follow the updates.

I didn't know it was 8mm focal length, is that rear fl or centered because the G7 is 6-8mm rear fl and it's 1 turn from falling out of the module when focused up close with a 7875, with a m-140 it's 3 turns from the end because the 5.6 diodes emitter sits further back, the G7 does let a little more power through.

I have been waiting for my S1's for 6 weeks now, they supposedly shipped last week LOL.

EDIT Ok He is talking about G2 and 3 element, maybe center focal length.
The G2 has a rear FL of 2.39mm and the 3 element has a rear FL of 5.3mm while the G7 is about 8mm rear FL
I thought the S1 was a lot like the G2.
From what Steve said in post #24 it looks like it has a short focal length like the G2.
I got some of those Chinese G2 copies and they only focus down onto 5.6 diodes and the FL is even less than the G2, the focused line with the Chinese lens is longer than the real G2, the Chinese copy pretty much is useless at any distance and completely useless for 9mm diodes unless they have fixed it.
Now the S1's I ordered 6 weeks ago are coming from Israel, I hope I get them during 2015
What's the use of such short focal length lenses?
Why order from a company thousands of miles away?

Last edited:

they dont clip the beam, so you get much more power. the only other way to get more power is to use a bigger lens that can take the whole beam.

there's no other place to get these specific lenses, which are cheap and high quality.

Hi,

It might have been practical to call ahead have driven to Edmund Optics located in Jersey and pick up what you need.

they dont clip the beam, so you get much more power. the only other way to get more power is to use a bigger lens that can take the whole beam.

there's no other place to get these specific lenses, which are cheap and high quality.

Other than not truncating the sides of the beam to get more power through, what other purpose does such a short focal length lens serve?

I saw them on E-bay and thought, what the heck, let's give them a try.
They were cheap but looked like decent quality single elements, could be an undiscovered jewel.

I see how it's hard to get all the beam into the lens and keep a tight focus with the diodes divergence with only a single lens.

The 3 element is the best compromises for adjustability of the original diodes.

The new diodes have wider junctions and will need beam shaping optics due to the aggressive divergence of the one highly divergent axis.

A single element short FL lens that captures all the diodes output with low loss is a pre focus lens used before beam shaping optics.

The G2 and G9 have been the gold standard for single elements and the Chinese copy stinks in my opinion. I just keep buying and trying otherwise. I don't know what the G2 clone sold by podo is like, I have not tested it yet.

Do you know of something better? Please elaborate if you do.

Last edited:
I saw them on E-bay and thought, what the heck, let's give them a try.
They were cheap but looked like decent quality single elements, could be an undiscovered jewel.

I see how it's hard to get all the beam into the lens and keep a tight focus with the diodes divergence with only a single lens.

The 3 element is the best compromises for adjustability of the original diodes.

The new diodes have wider junctions and will need beam shaping optics due to the aggressive divergence of the one highly divergent axis.

A single element short FL lens that captures all the diodes output with low loss is a pre focus lens used before beam shaping optics.

The G2 and G9 have been the gold standard for single elements and the Chinese copy stinks in my opinion. I just keep buying and trying otherwise. I don't know what the G2 clone sold by podo is like, I have not tested it yet.

Do you know of something better? Please elaborate if you do.
I've not seen a G type lens up close so I don't know what type of lenses are used do you? I'd like to know. But assuming this lens is a Galilean beam expander, I assume because of the whole lens is short, a *Kepler type is necessarily longer, that there would be one diverging lens and two cemented together lenses, possibly an achromat. All in all I still don't know why these G lenses have such short focal lengths and made with small diameter lenses. Is it just because the lenses used are the least expensive for the retailer to purchase? However, with the right tools and knowledge better G type lenses could be made by the end user. Better divergence ease of use... That's my point.

One thing I'd like to point out is the G lenses don't comprise a single optic per your description. They should be referred to as lens assemblies because they comprise 3 optical lenses.

* Longer because the lens separation is the sum of each lens focal length.

APEX1

I just used the s1 lens in my 462 and I prefer it over the g2!!