Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Modifying 5mw green laser rifle sight.

Hi there, my name is Ryan. I am an avid shooter and for a long time now I have been desperately searching for a laser sight with an intensity of greater than 5mw. A company called AIMSHOT sold two models, a 12mw and 20mw, but both were discontinued last year at the request of the FDA. I had heard of the possibility of adjusting the variable resistor on a standard 5mw green laser, so last week I purchased a 5mw chinese made NCSTAR laser sight.

I managed to find the "Pot", but it was difficult since the sight is built very ruggedly. I adjusted it by turning it both directions, and I didn't notice any major change. Also, it seemed to have unlimited adjustment. It's possibly that I might have damaged the unit while attempting to access the diode, though I didn't see evidence of this. The ircuit looked very similar to pictures of normal green laser pointers I have seen. It uses a 3v lithium battery,

If any one can explain to me how adjusting that resister has no effect, that would be helpful.

Also the "AIMSHOT" lasers I mentioned, it seems as if the 5mw, 12mw, and 20mw models are exactly the same. Is it possible that they all use the same diode and circuit that is adjusted in the factory to the desired power? That seems to make sense from a manufacturing standpoint at least. If so, I may buy one and try to modify it back up to the 20mw specs. I am a little hesitant to do this since the lasers costs $200, where as my NCstar chinese knock off is only $40.

Any advice would be helpful! I really don't want to pay upwards of $700 for one of the used 20mw AIMSHOTS that are out there still...

Hey Ryan,

So i did a little looking around for you and i have a quick question for you. Are you going for a sight with laser crosshairs or a sight that shoots a laser beam out of it so you can mark your targets. I don't know a ton about gun sights but i'm almost positive those are different. Ok 200 dollars is a lot to spend on a 20mw green laser. I don't know if you like this idea but here it is. Could you but a laser and have it mounted along with your regular sight? You can get a very nice 100mw custom made laser (you could even get a nice blue-ray one :) ) from LikeItBright for less than 200 dollars. look in the buy/sell/trade section for his post. That way you could have it on your laser and be able to take it off to play with it. just my 2 cents

Gotwake424, Hope that helped a little

The problems with mounting a traditional high power laser... Whatever you mount has to have some kind of adjustment in order to calibrate it to your weapon, and it needs a pressure switch so that it can be easily activated/deactivated with the squeeze of a handguard.

I am talking about an acutal laser, not a red dot holographic sight.. as you mentioned, the two are different. I can post some pictures of the laser internals if that would help.

Ok i just wanted to see if that would work for you. right i get what you mean as far as the cross hairs verse the actual laser. Im almost positive im seen a higher than 10mw green one for under 100 dollars, you might want to check dealsextreme. ill keep trying to look for that one i saw

There is this one. sku.12617 on DE. I can't post a link since I only have a couple posts. It's a 20mw.

No sales within the US unfortunately, unless someone here knows how to get around that.

There are people in buy/sell/trade forum that will ship items from DE and other places to you. Like you buy it ship it to them then they ship it to you. Dang im still looking but i cant seem to find it hmm..... i know ill find it like next week and be like wow ha ha

I see. I have friends overseas, maybe I could work something out with them.

I really think that modifying that 5mw AIMSHOT is the best bet at this point. The laser came in three models, 5mw, 12mw, and 20mw. All three look exactly the same. It is a very nice piece of hardware (Being mounted on a weapon means a laser has to be much more durable than just a standard pointer.).

I'm willing to bet that it's the same diode with a variable resistor in all three different models. Can anyone here tell me if that would be common? Would they really go extra lengths to use three different diodes for lasers that are so similar in strength? That seems counter intuitive.

Maybe they started with a diode that could safely output 30 or so mw, then just turned it down to spec for each of the models they sold. That might also help explain the $200 price point for the 5mw. Although like I said, it must be able to stand up to repetitive recoil from firing, various impacts, and weather so it is expected to cost more than just a standard pointer.

A green laser module uses a set of crystals to frequency double infrared light into green.  This process is incredibly alignment sensitive.  What this boils down to is that many modules with the exact same construction can have radically different power outputs simply because some were fluke-aligned slightly better.

Green lasers can also be limited by the crystals instead of the diode, in which case turning up the power will do nothing since the crystals are already running at their limit.

It is possible that some of the 5mW modules are simply more powerful versions turned down, but there may be real differences between the two.

You might be able to modify the aimshot by replacing the laser module with something more powerful, although I'm not sure what constant shaking, recoil, wear and tear etc might do to the alignment of green modules not designed for it

If you are going to buy an aimshot anyways, you could always try opening up the NCSTAR and post some pictures to see if anyone can do something for you.

I have the NCSTAR open right now. I will take some pictures of it. IT just looks like a standard green module.. small driver with a coil on the back for battery contact, brass housing for the crystals etc. The housing is threaded at the end to attach a plate that allows for windage /elevation adjustment in conjuction with a few screws and springs. The only issue I can see with adding a more powerful module is finding one of similar dimensions and threading the end. If it is a bit longer that wouldn't be a problem, It's always possible to trim the spring shorter, and if the replacement module is shorter a spacer could be employed I suppose.

I have adjusted the resistor all the way up. It turns to a point then resets to it's lowest setting. It's not much brighter than it was out of the box, although the beam is clearly visible at night for miles. It seems brightest when I first turn it on, then it settles to a lower intensity and stays there.

Also, I have been looking around on ebay UK - there are a couple chinese knockoffs that claim as much as 25mw and are supposedly labeled class IIIB - Should I trust anything in those ads?

Here is one advertised as 25mw. Looks like they are attempting to dodge the FDA regs by selling it as a part to be added to a complete assembly etc etc and whatnot. Sounds like shaky legal ground at best to me.

It says that it includes a cap which limits power to 5mw... it is blue green in color, it shows it in the ebay auction.I'm no expert but that looks a lot like an IR filter. Someone please look at the photo to confirm.

That means it could be a ripoff. maybe it is 25mW WITH IR, which would be totally useless I guess. It says it's made here in the states, idk. Can anyone tell me if that is an IR filter? Is this piece legit?

cgi.ebay.com/Green-laser-sight-532nm-high-power-with-attenucap_W0QQitemZ120387772645QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120387772645&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Sorry to have to post it like that, I need 10 posts to insert links

And another thing. All of the aimshot units are powered by 6v batteries as opposed to three, including the widely available 5mW. Should I look at that as a good sign that there is room in the hardware to make more power?

;D

Here is the picture of the lens in the ad
b7a0_12.JPG

It says when you put the one to the left on, it reduces power to 5 MW.

ok that 12617from deal extreme is a hunk of crap my father in law had me buy it for him he's pissed its almost impossible to dial it in correctly he's a hunter btw