Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mod my custom laser for 110outlet

Exactly--AA and 18650 are very different sizes-not even close to the same size
Is very unusual that someone who owns and has used a laser and bought a second set of batteries doesn't know the battery and recognize substancial/large size difference between AA and 18650
Starting to smell a bit like ...

Try recharging the second set you said in the OP that lasted "one night" fully and see of they work.
If they don't charge, buy a new set of actual good quality batteries and try those.

Nobody has even seen the laser you are talking about nor ever request that type of mod on LPF, so post photos of the "super powerful handheld blue laser"and batteries and say what you budget for a mod is---it might help.
If you live in the USA, try liionwholesale.com. They sell only actual new cells and test each one before shipping them out. I buy all my 18650s there. I do have some protected LGs that are rated at 3500 mAh and test every bit of that. They do only have a current draw of 5 amps though. To get a higher drain you need to go with unprotected cells.

Yes I’m in NYC but use my laser pointer for a total of 3mins per year but only in the pocono mountains (no light pollution and zero air traffic). Even with the deserted sky in poconos, I’m Literally freaked out because of the intensity of light. I’m not an enthusiast. Just a dude who breaks it out to show the Star Wars crowd in the middle of the night after some beers.

I thought I needed to exactly match the mah on the batteries provided by the guy who customized my Laser. I’m worried a diode could be broken or otherwise.

Why don’t people just mod handheld lasers so you can plug them in and never worry about recharge ? Seems so logical.

Anthony P

Yes I’m in NYC but use my laser pointer for a total of 3mins per year but only in the pocono mountains (no light pollution and zero air traffic). Even with the deserted sky in poconos, I’m Literally freaked out because of the intensity of light. I’m not an enthusiast. Just a dude who breaks it out to show the Star Wars crowd in the middle of the night after some beers.

I thought I needed to exactly match the mah on the batteries provided by the guy who customized my Laser. I’m worried a diode could be broken or otherwise.

Why don’t people just mod handheld lasers so you can plug them in and never worry about recharge ? Seems so logical.
A portable handheld laser could in fact by modded to make it plug in. There are too many variables, however, for someone to give you a quick fix answer: battery size, host, stable supply, driver type, duty cycle, etc. The simplest solution is to sort out your battery or charger issue. Plug in diode lasers are classified as "lab type". They generally have active cooling system and long if not infinite duty cycle.
There are some great tech guys here at LPF who do custom work. I imagine they would have to have your laser in their hands before they could begin to give you an evaluation.
BTW if 2 sets of batteries both fail, I would suspect the charger.

GSS

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^
I have to ask, where would you plug the laser in while your on the mountains?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Portable handheld lasers can definitely be made to be battery operated, and also plug in to your power supply, and some nice ones are made that way. :)

Jetlasers high quality line of PL-E Pro handheld lasers are equiped with an 8V 5A adapter which will plug in to your 110V outlet.
Below is a link to their 520nm PL-E Pro laser that incorporates this feature.

This is a great feature for saving your batteries, but it definitely removes the "portable" from your laser.

Last edited:

Encap

Maybe the lithium ion batteries are just unreliable ?

Li ion batteries are not unreliable --660 million to 800 million cylindrical Li ion batteries are sold each year and that number is increasing every year.--would not be so if unreliable. and the 2018 market would not have been worth $36.2 Billion.
Are there bad 18650s and garbage quality counterfeit 18650s out there from Chinese scammers --yes but the vast majority are fine although some with higher outputs than others.

A JetLasers PL-E Pro, as BowtieGuy has mentioned, is always a good high quality choice and depending upon the wavelength can be run with either a 5V or 8V AC adapter and a 1W 520nm green will be much brighter than your 5W to 6W blue laser -- 8 to 10 times brighter visually.
It might be the lowest cost and more doable choice as well than searching for someone to mod your laser as it is not a common thing done. I don't remember anyone on LPF ever reporting having done that and is unlikely that anyone will want to do it.

Lowest cost choice is just to buy a set of good quality 18650 batteries charge them fully and use your laser. There is not need to match the mAh of the make believe 9000 mAh batteries.There are no real 18650 9000mAh battery. Any quality current generation fresh Li ion batteries in the range of 3000mAh to 4000mAh are all that you need.
Any of the better quality batteries on the site Paul mentioned and on many other sites will be more than enough to power your laser see: https://liionwholesale.com/pages/search-results-page?q=18650&page=1&rb_product_type=Battery&rb_vendor=IMREN|LG|Liion+Wholesale|Molicel/NPE|Panasonic|Samsung|Sony|Vapcell
If it takes 2 batteries be careful to choose a type, button top or slightly raised +/top end flat top that allows one to to make good contact with the -/bottom end of the other or you will need a small round thin magnet in between them for the to make contact.

Last edited:
5 mW of 532 is very visible in daylight...

flf12.gif

You really need to get outside more. It's a lot brighter than you might remember, sir.

A portable handheld laser could in fact by modded to make it plug in. There are too many variables, however

Normally I'd say you're wrong - it's just voltage input and current draw of the driver. Get a plug pack with that voltage and a higher current and you're done.

But then I remembered most of you under-build these things so they self-destruct from over-temp after 2 minutes, so maybe AC power is a bad idea for that reason alone.