Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mitsubishi LaserVue

Guess there's no reason to wait for Coherent.

Mitsubishi to ship LaserVue laser TVs in summer
Mitsubishi today committed to the final launch of its LaserVue sets. The world's first production laser-based HDTVs should be available in the summer and will be split into 65-inch and 73-inch screen sizes; by using laser light in place of normal lamps, either screen is much more accurate and can generate 200 percent of the normal NTSC color gamut while also consuming much less power. The 200 watts used by a LaserVue is said to be half that of a same-size LCD and a third that of an equivalent plasma set.

Both screens produce about 500 nits of brightness and take advantage of their greater color depth with support for x.v.Color (greater than 24-bit color) through HDMI 1.3 ports and a 120Hz panel that can compensate for motion artifacts. Either LaserVue is 10 inches deep and just shallow enough to allow for wall mounting.

Exact ship dates and pricing for the sets are unavailable, though Mitsubishi says the 65-inch system will be available first with the larger version coming later.
http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/06/25/laservue.hdtvs.in.summer/

Very cool. I think Coherent's interest was not as an actual display manufacturer (an area where they don't have experience or marketshare), but just to be a supplier of the lasers. Dunno what went into these mitsi's, but it could well be Coherent's stuff, eh?

Anyway, very awesome to finally see all the news hype turn into something real - now lets just hope they keep true to their release date. (and no, you can't buy one take it apart and build a DIY 99 Jigawatt blue laser)

That's cool of Mits, I have their 73" HDTV in one of my rooms and love it, it's also one of the few electronics I have that is not made in China, I kind of like that fact.  ::)

Rhith

73" :eek: :eek:

I'm jealous! But these TVs sound like a great idea but I'm sure will be WAY too expensive for the common man at first.

That I guess would depend on your budget and finances, the 73" Mits I have right now cost me $10,000.00 Plus tax.

from my understanding.. the screens are WAY cheaper to make then plasma so the price should be reasonable

diachi

I couldnt get one, would take it apart, to see how it works and to get the lasers :D

Diachi

JLSE

If the engineer that designed it has ever lurked in this forum, I can only imagine the size of the 'Void Waranty" sticker on the rear pannel :p

diachi

;D ;D yeah it would need to be folded so that it could fit on.

Diachi

rkcstr

Warranty sticker:

"Removal of this label will void any warranty to the purchaser or otherwise of any responsibility for the manufacturer to replace or repair this equipment; especially in the case of opening this equipment to see "what kind of sweet laser" is contained therein. By doing so also does not give the purchaser any right to contact technical support in regard to 'whys meh lazor not werkin?!? I followed teh kipkays vidios!!1!'"

;D ;D

"Halp! How do I pot mod my plasma TV?! I want it to be powerful enough for plasma cutting but I don't want to spend more than $5. Which one is the magic resistor I turn to get the free money?"

Don't deny it, you know its coming

PS: "God. Those TV companies are so stupid. Why didn't they think of just turning that pot to get all that extra nit/brightness. I must be a genius compared to them" - your humble professional YouTube commentor.

iewed

Don't forget-

"So I see you bought a new laser TV, well do you have laser TV safety glasses? These glasses will protect your eyes from the lasers emitting from your TV, as well as harmful IR! IR is not only super-dangerous, but it's also invisible, you could have exposed your eyes to IR just by watching this commercial! But with a simple monthly payment of $49.95 for 12 months, you and your family will be protected from the dangers of laser TV's, and will be able to watch your TV in peace!"

Then the customer wonders why all the colors on the TV appear to be gray/brown...

rkcstr said:
Warranty sticker:

"Removal of this label will void any warranty to the purchaser or otherwise of any responsibility for the manufacturer to replace or repair this equipment; especially in the case of opening this equipment to see "what kind of sweet laser" is contained therein.  By doing so also does not give the purchaser any right to contact technical support in regard to 'whys meh lazor not werkin?!?  I followed teh kipkays vidios!!1!'"

;D ;D
hahahahaa   ;D ;D :D ;D

I couldn't imagine someone taking something that pricey and taking it apart for a Laser, but I guess it could happen.