Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MiniMag Mod, Version II

After seeing the minimag mod on here that utilizes a lava drive, I wanted to see if a micro drive would fit as well. It does. There are other battery options as well.

2x AAA batteries work if used with a 3/8" I.D. clear tube (Lowes) that acts like a spacer. So a micro drive would work if 10440's are used in this method (lava drive works if using regular AAA's).
Also, 3x cr2 primary lithium batteries from batteryjunction.com work too. I had to use a magnet though. Regular cr2's don't fit.

I didn't take a bunch of pics on how I did this because I am not trying to offer a kit, or step on any toes... I know how sensitive this issue tends to be on LPF. I just wanted to show a micro drive could be used in place of a lava drive.
I did take a few pics of my build. Here they are:
magv.jpg

mag2m.jpg

mag1i.jpg

mag4k.jpg

mag5s.jpg

I did use a heatsink, I just forgot to take a pic of it.
Glow powder is cool.

Glow powder is cool.

That's innovation, I haven't seen any member here who offer heatsinks or hosts that glow in the dark. Could you post some pics of the process? Where you got the GITD powder, etc.?

Glowinc.com sells all colors, both powder and paint. Mix a small amount of powder into some 5min clear epoxy (Devcon) and use a toothpick to spread a small amount onto the heatink...But work FAST. Let it dry and then reassemble into your host of choice.
I didn't take any pics of this process because there isn't enough time too. It hardens fast!
Also, I coated the heatsink before inserting the module so it wouldn't be glued to the heatsink.

Last edited:

jayrob

Nothing wrong at all with showing or even selling a completely new design! :gj:

It's not cool when someone copies an exact same design and sells it right along the person the has already shown it, and is selling it themselves, but what you have done with the Mini Mag has not been shown. At least I have not seen it...

You should show more details! :)

Nothing wrong at all with showing or even selling a completely new design! :gj:

It's not cool when someone copies an exact same design and sells it right along the person the has already shown it, and is selling it themselves, but what you have done with the Mini Mag has not been shown. At least I have not seen it...

You should show more details! :)

@Cold: Thanks for the website :)

@Jay: I'm pretty sure many members would LOVE having their hosts GITD'd.

Thanks Jay!
I think your heatsink would work for this mod, minus the sleeve. From there it is just a matter of choosing which driver and battery setup.
The top of the maglite does have to be bored out for the aixiz module to fit, and then deanodized using sandpaper. I will take more pics manana.

Last edited:
Thanks Jay!
I think your heatsink would work for this mod, minus the sleeve. From there it is just a matter of choosing which driver and battery setup.
The top of the maglite does have to be bored out for the aixiz module to fit. I will take more pics manana.

I seriously think LPF should have a GITD seller, could you imagine the cool stuff artists like Jay, RA_Pierce & more could do with it?

(Yes I'm calling you artists :))

I seriously think LPF should have a GITD seller, could you imagine the cool stuff artists like Jay, RA_Pierce & more could do with it?

(Yes I'm calling you artists :))

There are definitely a lot of possibilities. I thought of adding some to the grooves I put in my mini mag, for example. I think any of the builders on here should be able to provide this service, if they want to. The powder is decently priced. All that is needed is some imagination.
I got the idea from a maglite mod I saw on another forum...not a laser forum though! I'm just happy to contribute.

jayrob

That does look like some cool stuff...

Have you tried the GITD paint shown there too?

^^ I haven't tried the paint, it is too pricey for me. I bought the smallest bag of blue and 4oz of green. I should have bought the 4oz of blue, grrr. A little goes a loooong way. If you use the paint, I was told to use clear nail polish as a clear protectant coat over it. I think the powder is more versitile. It can be mixed and applied in numerous ways, from what I've been told.
Shipping is fast too.

jayrob

Thanks for the info...

I just ordered some of the Green Weather proof stuff just to check it out!

Pretty cool! :cool:

greengitd.jpg
greengitd2.jpg

Green is way brighter and glows a lot longer. Once the epoxy is dried it can be "cleaned up"...As you can see in the pic, it looks sloppy (I rushed myself because it dries fast)
It's not cool when someone copies an exact same design and sells it right along the person the has already shown it,
Jay, There is something that gets me with the whole copying the designs topic...
There are only so many flashlights out there, and most of them are easily moddable...Don't get me wrong. I truly appreciate where you're coming from, and respect the hell out of ya'... I just don't necessarily agree with the concept of whomever buys a certain flashlight first and shows how to stick a laser into it gets to be the only guy to market it. I don't offer kits or sell lasers for that matter, and I guess I'll shut up now.:undecided:
BTW, you are the guy (well, Rog too)that inspired me to go out and mod anything laser related, so please don't take offense to my ranting. I know I'm just a novice, and much of what I've learned has been from people like yourself.

Just to clarify.. most of your mods are definitely unique, and I'm by no means just targeting the kits you offer. I mean more like the hosts that just require a simple heatsink and a driver..and batteries.

Last edited:

jayrob

Well, there is no patent or anything, so anybody can do what they please...

I'm just saying it's not too cool, that is if people are selling the design, and somebody copies and sells the exact same design.

I'm sure that many people will agree. But everybody has their own opinion.

I have turned down requests to do certain host/heatsink kits because I know somebody else is already offering it. And I just refer them to the ones who are offering it. And if they say 'Jay, I like your work and would like to buy from you', then I will offer them one of my kits, or tell them to ask the person if they mind somebody copying and selling the kit that they are selling.

I used to show much more information in my tutorials and kits. Measurements and so forth. This is great for DIY! :)

But I stopped showing the measurements because a couple of people copied my kits to offer them for sale. If people didn't do that, I would share much more than I do...

Last edited: