Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mineral shop finds.

This last weekend I want on vacation to Parker Arizona, on the return drive home I had to check out the gem and mineral shops in Quartzite AZ.

I was specifically looking for samples that might florescence under uv light. (Until this forum I didn't know things like uranium glass existed.)
I noticed the shop I stopped at had a lot of big glass chunks, all were $3 per pound. They had a lot that were greenish. some milky white/green.

I asked the lady that worked there if she knew if any was uranium glass and she looked at me funny then said she doesn't know. So I decided to buy a few promising looking samples.
These are what they look like under regular light.
IMAG0032.jpg

This is under uv.
IMAG0033.jpg

Two samples produced some desirable results. Next time I stop by there I will find bigger chunks. :D Also sorry for the bad uv pic, its the best I could do with my camera on my phone.:undecided:

anselm

Next time I stop by there I will find bigger chunks.
... and don't forget to bring your 405nm pointer along to select the correct rocks to bring home.:whistle:

Nice score.

I always keep a UV flashlight in the car. I'm always stopping at yard sales, junk piles, antique, and junk shops.

Nice score.

I always keep a UV flashlight in the car. I'm always stopping at yard sales, junk piles, antique, and junk shops.

Wow For some reason I Always Knew you were a "Junk-Yard" Type of Man TJ. How Come You Didn't make it into the Village People Music Video? They Must not have Excepted Transvestites Yet...

(To Funny: You Know I'm Joking TJ "Buddy" but i Had To...)

EDIT: What has been your Most Favorite Finds?

Last edited:
I had a UV led light I had made but forgot the batteries at home. :banghead: I was planning on walking around the desert at night to look for glowing things. From now on I wont be making that mistake again.

It's better known to some people as Vaseline glass. Try asking about that, too.

I had forgot the word "Vaseline" when I asked the lady.
Just to verify, is that pronounced Vase-line or the same as the petroleum jelly brand?

@anslem I'm still in the process of building a 405 laser. It will be with me on my future expeditions as well as the proper eye protection. :)

Fenzir

LOL, just get a 7$ 5mW (40~60, actually) ebay pen.:)

that's what I do.
Glow in the dark fushigi (yeah that kids toy) is pretty fun, especially to light up with a 30mw 405 in pitch dark and move it around and watch people from a distance try to figure out what it is.

I just bought one. :) I didn't realize they had them that cheap, though I hadn't looked. haha

The same as the petroleum jelly. That's where the nickname comes from.

Thanks Cyparagon. Would want to sound stupid asking with the wrong pronunciation.