Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Min Power to do what?

BobW55

I have read all over this and other forums but can not find a single straight answer to this. It is mentioned here and there.

1) What is the Min power to pop a BLACK balloon?
2) At that same power, what is the MAX distance from the balloon?
3) What is the Min power to light a match?
4) At the same power, what is the max from the match?

Will help me and some of the other newbies !!

Kenom

There really isn't a straight answer to these questions as it's dependant on the laser and how much IR it puts out. Mostly in my experience you have to have above 75mw in order to pop balloons and light matches. However a laser that is putting out a lot of IR will pop a balloon and light a match at a much lower "visible" power level. as far as distance that is dependant on the power of the laser. at 75 mw you have to be pretty close to the match or balloon in order to pop and light it. wthin a foot. I know this doesn't help you much. sorry.

S

SenKat

Kenom - you are fairly close ! The average minimum power level would be 50mw to light matches, and pop balloons - unaided by external lenses. You should be able to pop a balloon at several feet evn at that power level, but it is greatly dependant on the quality of the beam - if there is loads of IR - the beam quality is going to suck. If the beam is too wide - you could have 200mw, and not be able to smoke anything ! so - there is no "failsafe" chart you can go by as far as burning power by mw is concerned - I hope this helps !

What I would like to add to this is make sure the laser before you but it has an IR filter and make sure it is a pretty good one before investing your money to deeply and dont forget to buy goggles with a laser that powerful.

this would be an interesting thing to experiment with if anyone has a bunch of lasers.