Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Micro 532nm lab build

Howdy all,
Yet another....'just for fun build' here. Hope you all enjoy. My other fun build can be found here.....:beer:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/just-fun-ryobi-mod-63539.html

So this is my Micro 532nm lab build. I picked up the laser module off of Ebay. Dave was kind enough to share a sale that was going on for these modules and I figured I would give one a try.
Link to Dave's thread....
http://laserpointerforums.com/f46/200mw-green-modules-39-temp-sale-price-66115.html

I put the module in a small heatsink, attached a toggle switch, some connectors and a 3V 300mA regulated wall-wart.
The housing is a plate i stripped from some piece of equipment and top a project box from Radio Shack.

Here are some photo's for fun. :D
P8170011.jpg
[/IMG]

P8170009.jpg
[/IMG]

P8170012.jpg
[/IMG]

P8170013.jpg
[/IMG]

P8170018.jpg
[/IMG]

I put the unit on the LPM and it seemed nice and pretty much steady for what it is.
Micro532labbyDIYnoIRfilter.jpg
[/IMG]

Then I put my IR filter in place and was VERY surprised! I am ordering another IR filter just to make sure that these aren't really that poor!!:whistle:
Micro532labbyDIYIRfiltered.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for looking!!:beer::beer:

hey. think you found the modules that o-like use! :D j/k. cool build.

ARG

Awesome build, what IR filter were you using to get that kind of a drop?

Yeah... with 300mA current, I wouldn't think you would be able to drive 200mW or so of green, would you? We're talking 20% efficiency at the top performers for 532nm, so you are looking at a good 1W pump diode to power those. And in order to do that... well, you need another 1.2A of current or so, right?

The LPM metering is at 300mA, another 1.2A I think would cook it. They are rated for <350mA.

As far as the IR filter, it's an old one from when I got into lasers and I used superglue on it at one point, so there is a clouding around the edges.....Of course I won't be doing that ever again!:whistle:

Benm

Thats pretty nice!

I'm considering builidng something 445 in a similar form factor, but using a heatsink instead of a plate as the base.

I wonder if everything can fit in a say... Hammond 1551GBK enclosure with the heatsink exposed

that is, a 2.0" x 1.4" x 0.8" quite possibly the smallest enclosure I have ever tried.

I know the LPM metering is at 300mA - the point being, in order to get 200mW out of green, you need to pump generally at LEAST 1.2A of current into the 808nm. That's why you got such a huge drop from the IR filter.

300mA of current is less than 250mW of IR, which translates to less than 50mW of green, or about where you got. That's because of threshold currents and all that.

EDIT: The reason why you read about 150mW of IR before you stuck the IR filter in front is probably because that's how much IR there actually was. But what do I know? :p

Last edited:
Looks great! Where did you get the small heatsink?

These came from Aixiz, they have these smaller ones and now longer ones in black....great company and state-side so you don't have to wait 3 weeks for delivery.

I know the LPM metering is at 300mA - the point being, in order to get 200mW out of green, you need to pump generally at LEAST 1.2A of current into the 808nm. That's why you got such a huge drop from the IR filter.

300mA of current is less than 250mW of IR, which translates to less than 50mW of green, or about where you got. That's because of threshold currents and all that.

EDIT: The reason why you read about 150mW of IR before you stuck the IR filter in front is probably because that's how much IR there actually was. But what do I know? :p

I put the module on my desk-top PSU again to double check what was happening.

At 600mA and 3.7V going through the driver it was hitting 175mW.(sorry didn't save the reading.)
So I think what the difference in powering I'm getting could be the driver effecting.
I am confused that powered through my regulated wall-wart 300mA 3V, i'm getting 175-200mW
Through my PSU at 600mA and 3.7V i'm getting the same mW reading. I'm afraid that i'm still quite new to electronics, but my guess it that the driver is regulating what ever power i'm giving it.
Sorry for my ignorance in the subject:beer: