Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Merry Christmas and all who celebrate ..

Thank you, Encap. A very merry Christmas and a happy new year to you as well. ;)

LaserRanger

Merry Christmas to all and thank you for all the help. I wish you the best for this new year. May your pockets be deep with cash and your lasers bright

Hi LPF,
I hope everyone is enjoying the Holidays with family or friends. Next week a New Years arrives so pic your New Years resolution, Oh wait anything but laser sorry that doesn't count.!!

Rich:)

I will be seeing my daughter again around the first, so I am looking forward to that. I was able to give her a 487nm laser this Christmas, which she had told me is her favorite color of all my lasers. It turned out looking pretty nice as I used a Black anodized heat sink in a 501B host with a copper module from DTR and a Nano Boost driver set to 275 mA. I also used the two element 520nm AR coated lens from DTR as it works quite well at removing that nasty looking rectangular artifact that comes from a die reflection of the diode. She told me today that she loves it, so I was happy to be able to make it for her. I hope everyone else had an enjoyable Christmas and will have a very happy new year.

LaserRanger

Nice to know she loved your gift paul. Maybe you could help me? I gave the 505nm laser to a friend of mine last week because he knew how to appreciate it but did not have the skills to make one himself. Now I want to make one again but I'm not sure which diode is a good choice to start with

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Nice to know she loved your gift paul. Maybe you could help me? I gave the 505nm laser to a friend of mine last week because he knew how to appreciate it but did not have the skills to make one himself. Now I want to make one again but I'm not sure which diode is a good choice to start with
A M140 or PLTB450B as they are strong and pretty cheap these days..
The PLTB has probably the best beam spec's of any multi modes..and can do 2W+:)

I hope everyone had a Great Christmas:):)

Last edited:

Sure. The best deals on these Sharp diodes can be had on eBay. Sometimes you can get in on an auction for one and get it even cheaper than buying one outright. All of these diodes are case positive now, as far as I know, so you will have to take this into consideration when you build your laser. The only driver I have seen that can be used to drive these diodes is the Blitz Linear driver from Survival Lasers. It is a very tiny driver that has two pads in the middle of the board that needs to be shorted out to put the driver in the LOW position. Since this driver is continuous positive, you would set your build up with the two Li-ion batteries positive toward the tailcap. You can set the current on this driver with the tiny pot on it. I would set it for 280 mA or less, but be aware that the wiper on this pot is very small and I normally set it by turning it with a small pair of dikes to grasp the wiper with. Because the Vf of this diode is fairly high, you will have to use TWO Li-ion batteries. This is no big deal as there are many sizes that can fit the size of one battery with two if that is the type of host you are using. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited: