Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Melles griot laser setup

Hello guys I know this will be my fourth post about this laser but I think this post deserves a separate thread because things are going to get complicated. I ordered this laser and I believe it came out of a sequencing machine called an illumina or something like that and I need to figure out how to wire it. The person I bought it from included some kind of power supply but I don't know what kind yet and the controller for the laser which I will put a link up for this laser. The instructions go like this.

Here are some basic instructions.
MG CLC laser power:

On POWER/CONTROL HD15 connector:

Power: +5 VDC, 6 A max, fat yellow Wire (pins 1,2,3 of HD15).
Ground: fat black wire (pins 9,11,12,13 of HD15).

Blue wire (interlock) should be connected to Ground as well.

Earth ground: Green wire should be attached to safety ground of power supply.

MG CLC laser control:

On POWER/CONTROL HD15 connector:

Laser ON: SPDT momentary switch (e.g., miniature toggle or pushbutton):

Pin 11/Ground (black wires in harness) to common
Pin 6 to normally closed
Pin 5 to normally open

Laser OFF: SPST momentary switch (e.g., miniature pushbutton):

Pin 11/Ground (black wires in harness) to common
Pin 7 to normally open

Pin 11/Ground can be connected to the fat black power Ground wire, it
doesn't need to go inside the connector shell. But the others do.
It's tight soldering in there. Use #24 wire and heatshrink.

Switches can be bought from a place like Jameco, MPJA, All Electronics,
Digikey, etc.

The RS232 port needs to be used to set the default power and possibly enable
the laser the first time. After that, the ON and OFF switches alone will
permit it to be turned on and off at full power. I have not tested the
modulation input but that should be usable to vary power assuming it is
active. (If you have mating SMA cables, please send.)

Using RS232 (19,200 baud):

LAS:pOW:REF 450

Sets power to maximum of 450 mW out of fiber.

I do not know what the rated power is, possibly 300 mW if similar to the Ignis.
So, could set for 300 mW instead:

LAS:pOW:REF 300

There may be one more command needed to enable the laser (first time only).

KS 2

Now can any of you tell me what to do here? Thank you guys so much!

Okay, seriously. Stop making new threads about this. It takes up unnecessary room on the forum, and people will be less willing to help you when you constantly spam new threads. When you add to an old thread it keeps relevant information together, and notifies everyone who had previously posted in that thread that there is a new post, increasing the likelihood of your question getting answered.

And what don't you understand about wiring this laser? You literally just have to follow the instructions you posted yourself.

Okay first it's a forum and what is a forum for well it's for posting stuff you don't know, people aren't going to go back a week ago and look at old posts at least I wouldn't I only look at new ones because they are actually relevant to the time. I don't think you own this website so I'm going to post what I believe is necessary in my own terms not yours.

I'm not sure about you but if it was my website I would want as many posts as possible even if it is the same thing it makes it look more active instead of a barren wasteland.

Okay first it's a forum and what is a forum for well it's for posting stuff you don't know, people aren't going to go back a week ago and look at old posts at least I wouldn't I only look at new ones because they are actually relevant to the time. I don't think you own this website so I'm going to post what I believe is necessary in my own terms not yours.

2/10 bait got me to reply.

Well when you reply it subscribes you do they don't have to go digging to find it.

Hmm weird people actually reply when I start arguing. Trust me I'm ready for the laser, I can handle it I have a 3w 445nm one but this one is just weird because of the controller it comes with. Sorry for trying to understand how to use it I though that's what a forum about lasers is for.

Encap

Why did you buy it if you don't know what it is, why you wanted it, don't know how to run or use it, and don't have any purpose for it?

Go handle it-- return it for a refund within 14 days per the ebay listing if you don't have a clue about anythng you are doing, why, or how.

PS In case you keep it. That Melles Griot laser is apparently a custom laser for a the now antiquated Illumnia GAIIx Genome Analyzer. Illumina no longer accepts orders for the Genome Analyzer IIx System but the laser controller is a standard Melles Griot universal laser controller without an enclosure. The manual for the L44000 controller contains pinout and command set information. See the manual here: http://blogs.swarthmore.edu/Illumina+GAIIx+Teardown/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/CDRH-Univ-Contr-L43000-200-01-Rev-1.0.pdf

You can read more about the lasers in a Illumina GAIIx in this teardown report: http://blogs.swarthmore.edu/Illumina+GAIIx+Teardown/?cat=5

Beyond that you are on your own.

Last edited:

diachi

I'm not sure about you but if it was my website I would want as many posts as possible even if it is the same thing it makes it look more active instead of a barren wasteland.

Doesn't matter if he owns the forum or not, there's a forum etiquette and you're not following it. I've warned you in the past already. Follow the etiquette, we're not asking much.

When I research a Laser related project I'll go back months
and years to get all and every bit of previous knowledge
posted on this Forum. I can't stand wading through multiple
Threads by the same member stating the same thing over
and over again. It is just not efficient.

It is considered bad Forum etiquette to open Multiple Threads
asking the same questions.

Jerry

Last edited:
Now can any of you tell me what to do here?

3z7tX.gif

Um... how about follow the instructions. What part don't you understand?

If you don't understand any of it, you shouldn't have bought the laser, because wiring instructions ARE the instructions. Asking someone on the internet how to read wiring instructions is like asking someone on the internet how to read music - it just can't be done in a forum post.

Last edited: