Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Medical 100W Laser- saving lives

SMIDSY

Re: Medical 100W Laser

nikokapo said:
is it a multimode optic fiber?

with sound, when the tumor is desintegrated or broken into pieces, does it remain there? because if there are no incisions then the bad tissue wouldnt be taken out of the pacient, i dont get it =(. or is it that when it gets destroyed it is no longer harmful?

With the laser one the cancer/ tumor isn't removed either just killed. Same with sound its heated up by the ultrasound like a very focused microwave and then is killed. It isn't disintegrated or broken up but afterwards it does shrivel up quite a bit (like when you cook a steak).

It isn't removed but is broken down by the body! And it is no longer a threat!

The advantage of these treatments (unlike using radiation) is there is (virtually) no risks at all, you can have as many treatments as is requires (though from what I've seen one is enough!).

Amnizu said:
That's really really cool, but you need to take proper pictures man.

It was taken in a magnetic field of ~4 teslar! You do better the camera barely worked, and video refused to at all!

Curiously_Coherent said:
That's pretty amazing equipment. I assume that the smaller diodes are for targeting etc. until the big IR gets busy. ZAP! :eek:

Yup thats exactly right!

BoostCrzy said:
My guess is the dead cells nolonger have any negative consequence and get dissolved into the body eventually....??

Again thats right!

SMIDSY

c0ldshadow said:
ive actually been considering adding a medical lasers section to the forum, what do you guys think? i know it might not be the most popular topic, but i think lots of people are interested in it and it might bring more laser lovers to the site

I think its a very good idea! It wont be the most popular (like this thread) but it still allows people to see the other side of lasers!

Things

Nikakopo (sorry abotu spelling), it is a ND:YAG laser, which is a rod that is pumped by a flash lamp. Interesting laser there!

Re: Medical 100W Laser

nikokapo said:
is it a multimode optic fiber?

with sound, when the tumor is desintegrated or broken into pieces, does it remain there? because if there are no incisions then the bad tissue wouldnt be taken out of the pacient, i dont get it =(. or is it that when it gets destroyed it is no longer harmful?

My guess is that the patient is having chemotherapy during the operation but I'm not sure- when I had my kidney removed they gave me chemo just in case the tumour broke up whilst being removed. I would sure like to find out the real answer though!

I also want to go into medicine next year! how is it rkctsr?

Oh, and I heard that they shine lots of small lasers at a tumour to for one big beam in case they miss. is that true or do they just use one beam?

SMIDSY

With the laser one the cancer/ tumor isn't removed either just killed. Same with sound its heated up by the ultrasound like a very focused microwave and then is killed. It isn't disintegrated or broken up but afterwards it does shrivel up quite a bit (like when you cook a steak).

It isn't removed but is broken down by the body! And it is no longer a threat!

The advantage of these treatments (unlike using radiation) is there is (virtually) no risks at all, you can have as many treatments as is requires (though from what I've seen one is enough!).

rkcstr said:
And, I'm considering ophthalmology (eye surgery), so I may be able to play with medical lasers in my future :D

Or you'll be trying to repair laser eye damage. Doh, did I say that outloud?