Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Measure Laser Distance

fender21

I have created a green laser (532) project w/ Arduino and I'm trying to find a way to measure the distance of the laser programmatically. This may be a pretty simplistic question but is there a sensor out in the world that can measure laser distance? I want to paint a object say 100yds out with my green laser and programmatically determine how far that is. This seems common in laser tape measures but I have no idea how they are doing this :) Any tips would be grateful!

I was looking at Lidar but I'm not sure if that's the right use or could be dialed in to pick up only the 532 point that is projected.

I would imagine that there are sensors for arduino to measure distance using laser. However, I don't know if you can use a 532nm dpss laser for this, as the doubling/nonlinear process might cause issues.
What are the distance range are you looking to measure? Are you thinking to use the 532nm for measuring distance or an additional laser or device?

fender21

Thanks for the reply. I am using the 532nm to light up a few targets around 15-30 feet so I wanted to see if I could leverage the 532nm spot to judge the distance with some kind of sensor that would see it. I guess I could just go with some kind of normal time of flight thing but if I had a way to measure my exact laser point target, that would be ideal.

loreadarkshade

Use two lasers in parallel, and measure the distance between the dots at a distance to get range. They do this in the nautilus program.