Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Maxwell Ultracaps 3000 farad 2.7V

^I'm not sure it would like the charging curve of the capacitors.

However, Are you sure steel fell on the floor?

Yes. There was a thinner part halfway up which heated faster and it detached from the rest of the rod. The penny seemed to vaporize, rather than melt.

Just a small update. I got my capacitors yesterday afternoon and immediately ran to my bedroom/workshop. First thing I did was see if my 400W ATX psu could handle the current draw from these caps. I knew it wouldn't but I had to try it anyway. It didn't, the overcurrent protection kept kicking on. So I immediately looked for the biggest ceramic resistor I could find. However the resistor I had was pretty tiny and it burnt up and melted my carpet a little. I then tried some graphite with little success as it started glowing red as soon as I hooked it up and shortly died. Out of options I asked for some help over on laserchat and MarioMaster Told me I could use a coffee machine as a high wattage resistor. After hooking up my 12V ATX psu It started charging. It takes about 1 and a half hours to reach 2.7v but its worth it :)

Here's a photo of my VERY crude setup lol. I have a veriac coming soon. Hopefully that will work a bit better.

CIMG5148.jpg

Use WHAT as a high current resistor?

How and why?

I hope no coffee gets hurt in the making of all this. And I suppose it's way beyond redundancy at this point, but for the love of God take care with that thing.

You could also consider cleaning up your room a little :p What's that laser right below the monitor/TV ?

Use WHAT as a high current resistor?

How and why?

I hope no coffee gets hurt in the making of all this. And I suppose it's way beyond redundancy at this point, but for the love of God take care with that thing.

You could also consider cleaning up your room a little :p What's that laser right below the monitor/TV ?

The heating element in the coffee maker is basically a big resistor from what I understand. Basically I run 12v of current through it and it drops the current down to about 2A which isn't much for a coffee maker. Any type of heating element could be used for high current limiting from what I was told. Anyways the element only heats up a 10th of what it normally would. It works so I'm not going to complain, I Dont care how sully it looks :D

I have been very busy lately so I have had no time to really straighten my room up. Besides a messy room adds character :D

The laser you see on the floor is a 400mw 405 laser. The same one that is for sale.

Last edited:
I found this charger that seems to be near a best price vs output ratio - US$39.00 with UPS Ground at approx $12

yhst-94582326164583_2181_108012767

Link here:
G350 Power Supply

This would charge 6 cells to 2.33 volts / I sure would like to know if there may be any internal adjusment that could get just one more volt out of it where at 15vdc each cap when balanced would top at 2.5v each.

I have that power supply for it's legit use, and it is awesome. It is not switching, and if you short it, it dosen't shut off. No need for a resistor.

Last edited:
How about get a bunch of these caps, some high power bar emitters, a big YAG rod with resonator assembly, ssy-1 Q-switch, and make the pulsed DPSS laser from HELL.