Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Max handheld cutting/burning power

It have a handheld 445nm laser with a power between 1 and 1.3w. It was recently suggested to me that it would be possible to get a more powerful and capable handheld laser.

It was particularily mentioned that an Ir laser could have many more times more cutting/burning power.

I have noticed while my 445 will allow me to burn black plastic just fine, it stutters while attempting to cut purple, yellow, or orange plastics. my interest in other more capable lasers is in hopes that I can over come this inability.

are you talking about hand held like fits in a pocket

or something that you can hold in your hand and cut things

I bet you could power a co2 laser on a backpack with a fiber optic cable on it and a large heat sink with lens on it and cut all sorts of things - probably only work for minutes up to a hour at most probably if you used batteries, but you could have a fuel cell but who knows how long that would last

this would all be expensive as hell and probably not safe but I cant wait to see this

There was a member some time ago selling 500mw - 5W IR lasers. The problem with IR is its invisible so glasses are a must. I'm not sure what else you would be able to cut/burn with it though. Ask around maybe you can find one.

are you talking about hand held like fits in a pocket

or something that you can hold in your hand and cut things

I bet you could power a co2 laser on a backpack with a fiber optic cable on it and a large heat sink with lens on it and cut all sorts of things - probably only work for minutes up to a hour at most probably if you used batteries, but you could have a fuel cell but who knows how long that would last

this would all be expensive as hell and probably not safe but I cant wait to see this

I'm almost 100% sure that you can't fiber couple CO2 lasers, unless there's been a major development in ZnSe technology in the last few weeks that I missed, as everything but ZnSe and a few other random things appear opaque to the laser and therefore absorb the energy and burn.