Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Man Died By Laser

This is an episode of 1000 Ways to die, on the second death (#2) it talks about a CIA spy that kills a man with a laser.

You have to watch it :drool:

Dead on Dead | SPIKE

Its the Second death, but they're all good xD

If they're talking gamma rays they aren't talking about lasers....perhaps (if there is any truth behind this tale) some sort of nuclear device could emit gamma radiation and kill someone (actually that really happened to a spy in Russia a couple of years ago - he was exposed to some sort of radioactive substance put in his drink and died a couple of weeks later).

So yes gamma radiation (from a radioactive substance) could kill a person, even within a few minutes if the dose was high enough, but it would have to be delivered some other way than in a beam. Heck, it's tough enough to try and make an X-ray laser, and there's no way you could carry it in a violin case! For one thing, such high intensity radiation is tough to focus - especially in a way that could hit one person in a crowded room and not injure or kill others around him. What would you use for an output mirror for gamma rays?!? I have no doubts the CIA could kill a foreign spy with radiation, but not with any sort of a "laser rifle".

Also, the first scenario is pretty bogus as well. It is not uncommon for an electric livestock fence to run 10,000 volts, but there is practically no amperage. Think about it - if there was enough juice in the fence to kill a man and fry his private parts, then any poor cow or sheep unfortunate enough to touch the fence with its nose or ears would have those parts burned off and it might even die. That would mean your milk would be scalded if they were diary cows and if beef cattle your steak would be cooked well done WAY before it ever got to the slaughterhouse! Total urban legend on that one.

I have no doubts the CIA could kill a foreign spy with radiation, but not with any sort of a "laser rifle".

Hey, how do you know the CIA actually DIDN'T assassinate JFK?

Umm he's dead isn't he?

Seriously though, they tried how many times to assassinate both Fidel Castro and Saddam Hussein. Every single one ended in failure. Even down to a poisoned wetsuit for Castro....

But seriously though, as Schrecken pointed out, it's just a bunch of urban legend BS. some of it's been old and worn out for years now, =/

Both the Electric Fence death and the Plasma Gun death are BS... IMO

1) as S_L has stated there is not enough current to kill someone... else
even a passerby inadvertently touching the fence could get killed...
and it has been shown that a stream of liquid actually breaks up into
separate droplets breaking the conductive path.

2) How can that Gun even be aimed precisely across the room onto an exact
spot onto a moving Target from the side of the case... :whistle:

Jerry

You're not missing much... it is re-enacted... and badly...:crackup:

Jerry

Both the Electric Fence death and the Plasma Gun death are BS... IMO

1) as S_L has stated there is not enough current to kill someone... else
even a passerby inadvertently touching the fence could get killed...
and it has been shown that a stream of liquid actually breaks up into
separate droplets breaking the conductive path.

I hate to bring mythbusters into this because even though they're entertaining I don't consider them scientific information. But Adam tested this out and did this him self. He had to be right up against the fence to make a constant stream to make a connection. And even then he just got a bad shock that barely made him jump :p

Arayan

it's blocked :( ...is it possible, for someone, download it to re-posting in the forum? :D

mfo

If they're talking gamma rays they aren't talking about lasers....perhaps (if there is any truth behind this tale) some sort of nuclear device could emit gamma radiation and kill someone (actually that really happened to a spy in Russia a couple of years ago - he was exposed to some sort of radioactive substance put in his drink and died a couple of weeks later).

So yes gamma radiation (from a radioactive substance) could kill a person, even within a few minutes if the dose was high enough, but it would have to be delivered some other way than in a beam. Heck, it's tough enough to try and make an X-ray laser, and there's no way you could carry it in a violin case! For one thing, such high intensity radiation is tough to focus - especially in a way that could hit one person in a crowded room and not injure or kill others around him. What would you use for an output mirror for gamma rays?!? I have no doubts the CIA could kill a foreign spy with radiation, but not with any sort of a "laser rifle".

Also, the first scenario is pretty bogus as well. It is not uncommon for an electric livestock fence to run 10,000 volts, but there is practically no amperage. Think about it - if there was enough juice in the fence to kill a man and fry his private parts, then any poor cow or sheep unfortunate enough to touch the fence with its nose or ears would have those parts burned off and it might even die. That would mean your milk would be scalded if they were diary cows and if beef cattle your steak would be cooked well done WAY before it ever got to the slaughterhouse! Total urban legend on that one.

You are referring to Alexander Litvinenko.

Alexander Litvinenko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Benm

I hate to bring mythbusters into this because even though they're entertaining I don't consider them scientific information. But Adam tested this out and did this him self. He had to be right up against the fence to make a constant stream to make a connection. And even then he just got a bad shock that barely made him jump :p

The quality of scientific work by mythbusters varies widely.

But sometimes its just logic: any electrified fence that would certainly kill a man would also pose a serious hazard to catte restricted by it.

I remember leaning on one of those fences, and wondering who was kicking my leg as a kid... at the time i never realized the wires were electrified, but i'm pretty sure it posed no serious danger either. Perhaps you are in for a very unpleasant surprise if you pee onto an electrified wire fence, but i seriously doubt it would do any lasting damage.

Trevor

Nice video!

I failed to realize it was on Spike - it was sort of weird when the ads started playing, because I was sitting next to one of my good (female) friends that the time. :crackup:

-Trevor

Morgan

Referencing mfo and the Alexander Litvinenko assassination... if you didn't read the link it was polonium-210 and a dastardly act on British soil involving a cup of tea. (Not the first time tea has caused a little international upset eh! ;) ). Talk about sending a message though... Not the subtlest of poisons! Three weeks to die from a highly traceable radioactive isotope that is only produced in a handful of places on earth? I mean, c'mon... !

M
:)