Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making My Own Laser Costume - Advice Appreciated!

Bigk

Hi everyone,

I am trying to make a laser costume with the basic idea like in this photo.

NrEw80X.jpg

I would like to buy the raw materials, diode and driver and battery pack. I am going to install a controller like arduino so I can manipulate the sequences and add a few switches, perhaps later add an accelerometer to change the sequence due to movement.

My question is what strength of diode should I be purchasing? I saw anywhere from 5mw to 50mw. I want it bright but not overkill or dangerous. I don't plan on wearing this in crowded places.

I am looking to buying the diodes and drivers anywhere specific I should check besides amazon or ebay?

I have one diode I am considering using, but it has no marking and don't know how to tell which mW rating it has.:thanks::thanks:

Thanks!

diachi

I want it bright but not overkill or dangerous.

Then it must be <=5mW

I have one diode I am considering using, but it has no marking and don't know how to tell which mW rating it has.:thanks::thanks:

You need a laser power meter to verify the power rating.

Thanks!

See replies in red.

Last edited:

Gazen

Only less than 5mW is safe if you’re not going to be wearing goggles. I wouldn’t advice using this in crowded areas really at all.

At 5mW, it probably won’t be visible when looking at it perpendicular to the beam, unless you use fog.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
continuing from 'intro thread'

IF you add optics that make the green beam 'fat' and thus makes it less dangerous.

The exposure time is a constant of .25 seconds or less, as our blink reflex of closing eyes, looking away or blocking makes a longer exposure pretty much impossible.. so the risk is based on wavelength, distance from laser, divergence and power of the laser(s)-- you CANNOT judge power by eye--example a 405nm at 100 mW will burn things very fast while seeming to be low power--NOT SO.
... be very aware the eye injuries do not always cause pain.. other indicators are 'floaters' after-images etc.

ALSO be aware that horizontal beams placed around the level/ area of the head are the very worst--
as that places the beam near the center and our own eye's lens, and the power can be multiplied 100s even 1000s of times,, that same way a mag glass can increase the danger/burning power from the sun many times over.
And being more in line with the two WORST places in the eye to get lased. (like the fovea) ... take a 'hit' in either of those two parts of the eye can cause instant blindness, but, as said not a lot of pain.

lastly if you are going to do a public display using lasers there are laws/regs etc you must follow to be safe AND 'legal'.

99% of the lasers we see in clubs/parties etc are not technically legit. WE have seen ytube facebook vids/pics showing lasers hitting peoples faces complete with date-place and who was doing the lasers--so proving is easy-- disproving NOT easy,, and that in this lawsuit intense country its easy to find a lawyer to make the lawsuit case for his 60%
Your laser must have a FDA variance.
and you may need to be insured-and have a FDA 'show plan' in place.

check these tiny reds--drivers are inside and you can run many from a single 3.7vdc li-ion (rechargeable)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-pieces-...047432?hash=item545a6872c8:g:pc0AAOSwhxhadPyj

AixiZ can sell you these in any number you want.

I can send you free samples as well. you WILL need fog/smoke in order to see the beams . (less fog with both diode greens and DPSS greens as our eyes are much more sensitive to green. The green lasers in your pic are not diodes and very likely those pics were made with fog. all laser beams are less visible from the 'side' ...most visible if you are looking towards the source and after that viewing from behind the lasers.

good luck with ypur project... hak

Last edited:
As I stated before, this is just a BAD idea. I would abandon it and look for something else to with lasers. After seeing a photo of what you are going for, all I can say is Yikes! You will end up blind and likely blind someone else who will have all your possessions and then have you thrown in jail.

Encap

As I stated before, this is just a BAD idea. I would abandon it and look for something else to with lasers. After seeing a photo of what you are going for, all I can say is Yikes! You will end up blind and likely blind someone else who will have all your possessions and then have you thrown in jail.

Exactly paul--bad idea plus the guy has no idea of what he is doing from the questions asked. Is not as simple as in imagination where everything is possible, simple, and no problem.

Hi everyone,

I am trying to make a laser costume with the basic idea like in this photo.

You have not indicated you purpose other costume--for what who knows but it seems to be an imagined/imaginary device you want to make for frivolous entertainment, attention seeking purposes.
PS the laser in your photo are not direct diode laser they are 532nm DPSS green lasers. THere is not any "diode" that does that wavelength ---expensive around a couple of hundred dollars each small DPSS 532nm lasers are available see: http://www.snakecreeklasers.com/products/laserheads.aspx

Regardless, it is not a very sound or good idea and could only be used without risk to yourself or others under specific controlled conditions/circumstances.
Aside from being difficult to see without fog and being expensive to do even if possible-- since you know nothing about lasers and have no idea or what you are doing/want to do it is a bad idea - what you want to make is something with 20 of them --20X the hazards and with no real control of where they are pointing and begging for trouble.
You would be much better off safety wise and it would be a lot cheaper to use LEDs to make and attention attracting piece of clothing.

Here is a good eye hazard chart that shows graphically laser hazards -- http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

The truth of the matter is a 5mW laser can cause eye damage and even a 1mW or less laser can also cause eye damage see following information:
5mW or less--EYE INJURY HAZARD -- DIRECT AND REFLECTED BEAM
Class 3R visible-light lasers are considered safe for unintentional eye exposure, because a person will normally turn away or blink to avoid the bright light. Do NOT deliberately look into or stare into the beam -- this can cause injury to the retina in the back of the eye.
Be aware of beam reflections off glass and shiny surfaces. Depending on the surface, the reflected beam could be about as strong and as focused as a direct beam.
The Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance (NOHD) for the most powerful Class 3R visible-beam laser (4.99 mW) with a tight beam (0.5 milliradian divergence) is 104 ft (32 m).
For a 4.99 mW Class 3R laser with a less-tight beam that spreads out faster (1 milliradian), the NOHD is 52 feet (16 m). This divergence is more typical of consumer lasers.
If you are closer than the NOHD distance to the laser, there is a possibility of retinal damage if the direct or reflected beam enters your eye longer than about ¼ second. The closer you are to the laser and the longer the beam is in the eye, the greater the chance of injury. see: Safety of Class 3R visible-beam lasers

Even 1mW or less can cause eye damage --<1mW EYE INJURY HAZARD -- DIRECT AND REFLECTED BEAM
Class 2 visible-light lasers are considered safe for unintentional eye exposure, because a person will normally turn away or blink to avoid the bright light. Do NOT deliberately stare into the beam -- this can cause injury to the retina in the back of the eye.
Be aware of beam reflections off glass and shiny surfaces. Depending on the surface, the reflected beam could be about as strong and as focused as a direct beam.
The Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance (NOHD) for the most powerful Class 2 laser (0.99 mW) with a tight beam (0.5 milliradian divergence) is 46 ft (14 m).
For a 0.99 mW Class 2 laser with a less-tight beam that spreads out faster (1 milliradian), the NOHD is 23 feet (7 m). This divergence is more typical of consumer lasers.
If you are closer than the NOHD distance to the laser, there is a possibility of retinal damage if the direct or reflected beam enters your eye for longer than about ¼ second. The closer you are to the laser and the longer the beam is in the eye, the greater the chance of injury. see: Safety of Class 2 visible-beam lasers

You do not indicate what wavelength or "color" laser you want to use but the photo indicate green--there are a lot of technical problems and complications even if you can come up with 20 green lasers less the 5mW and even if less than 1mW ---like powering them and effectively mounting them and switching them, buying diodes and and all the other parts needed + assembling 20 complete lasers for your purpose.
Not cheap, time consuming, expensive, not to mention all the LEGAL use complication as Hak mentioned unless you want to use it alone in your room. :crackup:

LEDs are a different story and not eye hazards ---LEDs are a much better idea--still not a simple thing to accomplish.

Last edited:
please know that we are not the practice of 'raining on your parade'....and only wish all involved to be safe. It seems that the press only cares about the stories involving injuries. You will never see headlines about the hundreds of thousands of lasers owned and never used for harm whether by accident and MUCH worse, intentional bad acts every day. We understand that you want to do this in a safe way. And going with very low power reds will not nearly as impressive. And w/o fog in a very dark place the effect will be much less dramatic.

Last edited:
I like the idea. Looks spiffy. Much like prison showers, it's safe enough as long as you don't bend over.

The main problems are this will ONLY work with LOTS of fog, and in a VERY dim room, and be QUITE expensive since you'd need to avoid DPSS to get power consistency. If you've got an extra 1-2 grand to burn on a weekend project, have fun!

Those little red lasers have been dirt cheep for a long time now. I have no use for 50 of them, but you can't beat the price.

Its just to dangerous if your using 532nm i have never seen a 532nm <5mW the all are like 70mW to 300mW today, ( 3/4y ago the used to be 15mW to 120mW )
the 650nm <5mW the link (lasersbee) gave you, the are 1mW to 3mW i have some of this the not visible much you must use heavy fog hehe
--> Recommended No your going to hit someone in the eye having 20X <5mW lasers on its still an Eye hazard :pop:

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I think this entire concept is a bad idea. What's worse than one potentially blinding laser... many blinding lasers with no control whatsoever. :eek:
Even with the idea of using <5mW lasers, I'd avoid this idea.

Encap

I think this entire concept is a bad idea. What's worse than one potentially blinding laser... many blinding lasers with no control whatsoever. :eek:
Even with the idea of using <5mW lasers, I'd avoid this idea.

Agreed-- exactly. A bad idea for several real reasons.

Happy Halloween to BigK.
There is some exhibitionist laser costume stuff available from Aliexpress/China where there is no concern for safety nor are there laser rules which are not expensive by Western standards. You could parade around on other days looking foolish with one of those for cheap until stopped for under $500

See: https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-laser-suit.html

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
:wtf: I've seen some of those examples before. But that page is crazy and shouldn't be allowed. Some of those suits could easily blind the wearer let alone anyone around them.

The problem is, it looks 'cool'. So kids and the irresponsible will love it. :tsk:

The thing that gets me most is those lasers mounted on the glasses. So literally anyone they look at, they will blind. :banghead:

Last edited:
I think the Chinese will mount a laser on anything as long as they think it will sell. No one ever asks if this is a good idea. Just, will some kids think this is cool and buy it. :tsk: