Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

making first laser help

Isn't gun ownership in Australia illegal too?

Guns then Lasers - next it will be knives...

Mule

neco

yeh they are and knives cant be carryed in public. and for some you need a permit.

I carry my knife on the street concealed anyway - probably scare some old ladies if I had it hanging on my belt ;D I do it because I got faux-mugged on the train at midnight a month ago by a guy with a knife... still took him down with my fists, lolz. My 666th post, how appropriate.

I'm surprised no one mentioned my site as a good place to buy Aixiz modules... [link=http://www.hightechdealz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=35]$3.75 w/ the 5mW diode[/link] in it or [link=http://www.hightechdealz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9]$4 for blank[/link] and free shipping worldwide.

</end of self promotion> :)

neco

nice knife.
im looking at your site now i still havent got a modual yet im waiting to get the diode first.

neco said:
yeh one thing though is that im getting a bit worried about getting stuff shipped here (australia) because of the new laws... they are trying to stop people even owning a powrfull laser.

The chances of AUS customs catching anything is doubtful. Even if they do, you'd get a notice and it confiscated. Thats it.

el-taco said:
The chances of AUS customs catching anything is doubtful. Even if they do, you'd get a notice and it confiscated. Thats it.

Not so fun if that laser that was confiscated was $1000+

That's why I'm getting all my expensive ones in before the ban. But after the ban is in place I'll definitely be testing it with some DX lasers ;)

Honestly I don't think they will get confiscated. But with the really expensive lasers, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

neco

yeh i just dont wat the fine or the ass kicking from my dad lol.
my dvd drive finaly died so ill get the diode out of that soon.
2 quick questions:
for a burning laser how important is the lense?
and
can some one link me to a schmatic of a driver using a risistor (i was thinking about 10ohm) and a capacitor?
thanks
neco

neco said:
yeh i just dont wat the fine or the ass kicking from my dad lol.
my dvd drive finaly died so ill get the diode out of that soon.
2 quick questions:
for a burning laser how important is the lense?
and
can some one link me to a schmatic of a driver using a risistor (i was thinking about 10ohm) and a capacitor?
thanks
neco

Without a lens there will be no beam, it will simply project a wash of light, like a floodlamp. Without a lens you cannot focus the light and cannot burn things. Luckily, the aixiz module includes a lens.

A capacitor and resistor does not a driver make. Your laser will die in a matter of minutes or hours if you do not create a constant current regulator of some sort. It's not worth your time to bother, unless you have several more dvd burners and you don't mind killing one. Check out this thread for how to build a simple driver for a couple bucks.

you need a Permit to import a laser i think only a doctor or astronomers can get one. Even if you do get one you can get arrested or fined if you have it in public. But that wont stop me trying when I'm older ::)

I carry a pocket knife and a laser with me now because a black person (not trying to be racist here) tried to mug me at night time about a year ago. You know what the laser is for... ;)

Oh it happened to me a few times at night. Hopefully i had a secret weapon my Green laser  so i was like whats the most important being beaten or saving myself so i decided to  flash em  few times That idea gave me a few minutes to runs.
My bad Dx doesn't sell anymore knife .. i can't buy em ;).

experience to try; having a portable 5W IR on self for self-defense.

You'll get days to run away if you use a portable 5W IR laser :D

EDIT: you'll have all the time in your life to run away ;D

rangedunits said:
Oh it happened to me a few times at night. Hopefully i had a secret weapon my Green laser  so i was like whats the most important being beaten or saving myself so i decided to  flash em  few times That idea gave me a few minutes to runs.
My bad Dx doesn't sell anymore knife .. i can't buy em ;).

experience to try; having a portable 5W  IR on self for self-defense.

In all seriousness, I think if you shine a laser at a criminal that is intent on doing you harm then he will probably take the laser from you and hurt you more. If you pull a knife on him he will likely kill you with it. You would be best to take some self defence classes and learn to defend yourself that way.