Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

maintenance in 5 mins

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
ive been away for 2 days and have like 200 emails im sorry for the no responses

gotta do a backup

be back soon guys
have fun enoy the forum
regards,
-avery

Trevor

What actually goes on during the maintenances, is it just backup, or does the forum need a 'rest' or something? Not trying to question you too much or anything, just curious. :D I have no idea how these things work and I have a forum which I have never turned off like that, is there something I am missing that I should be doing? (my forum is phpBB3 so it might be different)

I'm curious too - I usually just make the changes I need to while the forum is still up. No one's ever noticed. :p

-Trevor

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
good question 2007=)

when i mysqldump the database i like to make sure no changes can be made to the database. it "can" work a lot of the times without risk of corruption (by not putting site in maintenace), but i like to be very safe about it

after each backup i test the backup actually works (which takes some time and effort but its worth it). my experience with vbulletin has been that not putting teh site "off" while doing backups has resulted in mysqldumps that couldn't be imported due to errors as a result of changes occuring during the time of the backup

my backup process is largely automated but i still like to do some manual testing each time to be 110% sure backup integrity is there=)