Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mainely Lases - Nathan Ricker problem/inquiry

BeamDump

Hello

It's my 1st time posting on these forums. I hope it's the right place for this.

I might have a problem with a member thats registered here - Ricker.

On Oct 30th, i purchased a 7 watt 450nm custom laser handheld that he manufactures on his eBay store.

He has good feedback so there was no reason to worry.

However he took 21 days before posting a tracking number with USPS and now it's 4 days and the tracking number's empty. Only pre-shipment electronic notification.

I tried sending him dozen of ebay messages, emails, phone calls and FB messages... Only reply from i got was his "sorry sir, i had an unexpected drawback." And that was 13 days after the purchase. Afterwards he keeps quiet.

All i asked from him was to keep me informed and if he needs help or has drawbacks, we can work them out together. No problem there.

Instead he keeps radio silence. I'm starting to feel like a jackass here.

Anyone know him or his traits, is this normal?

Thank you!

GSS

He "was" a good member here before he branched out to building and starting his Mainly Lasers.
As far as I last saw on his sight he was only building or selling about 3 products, laser wise. It was probably 3 months ago when I came across his store and there was only 1 member that wasn't happy, can't remember the reason though.
Life issues could of gotten in the way but that doesn't mean you should be out of your money. How did you pay?
I would contact your credit card, debit or what ever way you paid to try to get your money back.

Last edited:

BeamDump

Paid by paypal, so i could easily open a dispute and get the money back. But i don't wanna be an asshole about it, that's why i wanna get a 3rd opinion here. Like i messaged him, as long as he would keep contact and inform me of the progress, status updates then we could work this out. Keeping your client in the dark for almost a month isn't right.

Here's the tracking he provided on the 21st, claiming he sent it out via USPS express-

EP861288171US

This look normal?

GSS

His sight has no remarks about being temporary closed for vacation or illness??
3 weeks from payment to a shipping label 5 days in is awfully long and only one message back.
You won't look at all like a jerk if thats what your worried about. Do the paypal dispute, it's only for 1 laser and Ricker can live with that..
Waiting almost 4 weeks is a long time especially in a US to US transaction..

BeamDump

He was suppose to ship it to Estonia but what difference would that make. Shipping is shipping, that's something we can all wait on, if it were true. Tracking number suggest otherwise and the silence adds to it. Alright, i've escalated the case to Paypal, if he does ship the laser then i'd be happy to drop the case but right now it does't look good.

GSS

Oh when I looked at the tracking I didn't realize it was to Estonia. No wonder the EP in the numbers.:whistle::giggle:
If there was issues with customs and forms from the US side I would think he would of told you.
At least you got the case going. When your ready for another be careful of way over priced sights and ebay links that promise crazy outputs.
There is no laser at the moment stronger than 7W.. Beware of claims such as 10,0000mw's..

Last edited:

BeamDump

Indeed.

Thanks for the warning, yeah i'm aware there's no blue diode more powerful then the NUBM47 right now. I do plenty of laser calibrations and assembly. Right now i'm on my masters course for Ramen Spectroscopy. While one of my jobs is to set up CTP (computer to plate for offset printers) machines with 80-100 wat 808nm Coherent diodes. So i have some little knowledge of lasers. ;)

Jist thought i'd save my self the time and headaches and buy a "cool" powerful blue laser for New Years. So much for that it seems...

GSS

Wow, ;):) Oky Doky..
It's just so many new members get burnt by these places so I guess it never hurts to mention..
While your here Lifetime17 is a member builder and only sells here. He's got some nice hosts or builds very nicely priced.
If customs are tough your way, you can get a host of his ready to go with 2 wires, ready to connect to a module from DTR..
Just a thought. You sound like a person who would be a great member and asset!

Last edited:
Paid by paypal, so i could easily open a dispute and get the money back. But i don't wanna be an asshole about it, that's why i wanna get a 3rd opinion here. Like i messaged him, as long as he would keep contact and inform me of the progress, status updates then we could work this out. Keeping your client in the dark for almost a month isn't right.

Here's the tracking he provided on the 21st, claiming he sent it out via USPS express-

EP861288171US

This look normal?

Hi, That is a legit tracking # for international tracking code . I shipped to Europe plenty of time for customers. I hope it all works out I have felt with Mr. Ricker in the past and had no issues. So the way it sounds is that the laser wasn't built for immediate shipping and had to be built.
Rich:)

BeamDump

Wow, ;):) Oky Doky..
It's just so many new members get burnt by these places so I guess it never hurts to mention..
While your here Lifetime17 is a member builder and only sells here. He's got some nice hosts or builds very nicely priced.
If customs are tough your way, you can get a host of his ready to go with 2 wires, ready to connect to a module from DTR..
Just a thought. You sound like a person who would be a great member and asset!

Hey thx, customs in Estonia are pretty easy actually and they don't care much for laser goods, regardless of output power or type.

Thanks for the recommendation there, i'll definitely check his stuff out.

Indeed, the tracking number is legit but empty for days. If he claims he shipped it on the 21st then there has to be at least a pickup history.

I figured that he'll be manufacturing the laser, that's what i assume the 10 days handling is for. However if a seller should double that time, they should have the common courtesy of updating the buyer on the situation: why the delay and such. Not much to ask there, basic contact and reassurance. Still, hoping he'll get back to me.

Hi, Maybe he has a machinist making these hosts and have to wait . It takes time on a manual lathe and milling machine , but not that long.
CNC on the other hand is quite faster a lot faster. Hope he gets in touch with you soon.
Rich:)

BeamDump

Perhaps he does, let's say he's even a perfectionist and will spend days getting the surface finish right but nothing should stop you from checking your mail at least once in the evening...

Encap

eBay has a "money back guarantee" and then the is PayPal. Report it to both.
Just make a claim with both, get your money back, and buy from someone else if you don't get an acceptable answer from the seller.

The tracking # still shows pre-shipment notification --awaiting item So USPS does not yet have the package just the tracking number reserved for a package.

Did you try contact the seller on eBay and ask the guy what the story is? Tell him that USPS shows the package was not yet given to them.-tell him you need to know what is or isn't going on.

I just messaged Nate. He has the hosts, drivers and diodes in stock so I'm not sure why there would be such a wait. Please give him the benefit of the doubt before opening a dispute.

BeamDump

I just messaged Nate. He has the hosts, drivers and diodes in stock so I'm not sure why there would be such a wait. Please give him the benefit of the doubt before opening a dispute.

I already opened the PayPal dispute, however obviously getting the money back is not my intention. I originally bought the laser handheld that he offered and it's still what i would like to receive. If he can get back to me with an explanation and better yet a tracking number which has the item picked up and dispatched. Then i'll be more then happy to cancel the dispute.

Edit:

Yesterday evening i sent another message to Ricker, linking this thread and informing him that i'll be opening a PayPal dispute. Afterwards i received a response: He'll refund my payment. As for the package it's been picked up but he went to the post office and they have no sign of it, so no one knows where it is. Should i receive the laser, i should keep it. Lack of supplies and life troubles.

Well, not at all the reply i wanted to hear back. Never wanted the money back, hence why spend it in the 1st place and wait a month. Now i don't know what to think. Obviously if i should receive the laser, i'll be glad to send him the money again. Doubt i'll receive it though.

Last edited:

GSS

Last I checked on Rickers Mainely Lasers on ebay, he had nothing for sale.
So i'm confused also??
Ricker good for you to refund the money.. If your having any life issue's I wish you well..;)