Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Made little mistake , Need guidence.

Hey Guys.

About 3 months ago i gathered parts to build my first laser. I have 300mw 405nm laser diode, driver module and lens. It took about 2 months to get all parts and build the laser. Once i had all the parts i put it together ready for the first test. I had my laser goggles on my head so i could see what i was doing setting up the test. I had the driver and module separate along with the power supply, I had my multi meter in line with he diode to test the current draw. The module was sitting on the table facing my waist at the time, it was sitting on black cloth I intended to be a non reflective surface. I forgot that i had the meter turned on so as soon as i touched the terminal of the multi meter to the driver the laser lit up and i saw the diode flash in the corner of my eye. The module was not focused yet the was still using the standard acrylic lens. The laser did not shine directly in my eye but i still saw the dot out of the corner of my eye without goggles, I spent a week inspecting my eyes, waiting for symptoms of damage but haven't realy noticed anything. Its been a month now and the laser has not moved from where it was the time of the incident. Waht i ask is should i get back on the horse and finish my laser with the appropriate lesson learned or stop while i still have my vision.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Guys

Ryan

Man up, finnish that laser. You can't tell me that your whole life at the first sign of trouble you tuck and run, well, same here. You sound like you've learned a valuable lesson use that for your future builds.

P.S. that brick you posted was painful in itself. :p

Last edited:
I know i should man up lol, I have a friend who is a doctor who told me to be careful with it. Apparently it doesn't take much to fry your eye lol. i guess I am a bit paranoid at the best of times.

sinner

Yes it does harm your eye sight , its a 100mW so keep it safe, dont turn it on while its pointing to a reflecting surface. If you want to be more safe place a beamstop , anything matte black would make a great beamstop (except plastic, rubber)

Clamp your laser down to something or get a tripod and point the laser in a safe direction away from your face.

A lot of the members here are dealing with higher powered lasers than 300mW.

Man up and be careful.

Defiantly get it finished!
You will be glad you did when it's done.
Like everyone else is saying, think ahead and take time to be sure if it comes on your ready for it.
Sounds like ya had a close call, but I bet thats all it will take to make sure you don't ever get one in the eye!

Wow, that was a close call.

I can't really grasp how much damage you did to your eye. I don't think much, but going to your friend's place and checking your eye out sounds like a start.

When you got hit, did you see an image afterwards? If not, you're probably fine.

Hope all goes well with the laser!

Cheers! :beer:

I didnt see any shape afterwards. All that happened was the dot was on a matt black surface and the material had crumpled at the front of the diode,So when it powered up the dot was right in front of the module and out the corner of my eye i saw the color so immidietly shut it off. I just worry about the scattared light hitting the bottom of my eye.