Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

machine that goes ping

Well I'm sure many of you know the machine that goes ping from Monty python. I want to make a circuit and put it in a little box so when you push a button it goes "ping". pretty simple...
I'm wanting to do this because a teacher i had in high school (ive just graduated) promised an "A" to whoever made him one in an electronics unit that we did a few years ago. I thought it would just be a nice goodbye present to give him. can anyone give me some ideas about how to do this easily. I can construct circuits reasonably well and im pretty good with a soldering iron. Any ideas guys?

Things

There is another forum i go on everynow and then, you might wanna check it out, those guys know everything about electronics. One tip though, don't go and ask for a circuit diagram straight away, they will say "we will help you, but not do your homework for you". ANyways you should get a responce pretty fast from here www.electro-tech-online.com

Here's a simple one. Build a capacitor-charge network with a buck converter whose output connects to the bell off of one of the simple, ultra-cheap telephones. I believe those bells need around 50-100V equivalent for the coil to push the striker far enough, but it needs to be a short duration to keep from dulling down the 'ping'. I don't have the calculations off the top of my head, but the parts needed are probably something you could find at the local electronics shop.

I think I'd use one of those little 10-second audio record/playback modules, then record whatever sound you want - even Michael Palin saying "Ping!"

well guys sorry i didn't respond earlier .... just graduated, party's most nights :). what i ended up doing was recording the sound on a little player thing like zarniwoop suggested and tore the recorder apart modified the switching and speaker, whacked it in a box and bobs your uncle it worked :D... thanks guys for suggestions :)