Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M60 Ruby laser project...Help

Hey guys, recently bought an m60 ruby laser project on eBay, the seller wanted 400 but was probably the nicest person I have ever seen and I got it for 100. I just wanted to know what is the maximum amount of joules that can be put into that particular flashlamp? I’ve read on sams faqs that the rated is only 125 joules and then somewhere else it is up to 1200 joules so I’m a little lost and don’t want to pop the lamp. I mean I have put 300 into my SSY-1 without it popping and it is a smaller lamp. Just want to make sure. Also I am super excited to get it working just thought I would post some pictures when it is all said and done :)

Well, I got it to work but sadly hehe kind of awesome actually the flashlamp died with a bang. Unfortunately I can’t find any the diameter and length of this exact one and ruby lasers have to have the same length of the rod or they don’t lase. Does anyone know where I could get another? Like a custom flash lamp maker? I checked eBay some were close but a little too big :)

Those sell for 600 dollars or more on ebay if they are complete, damn, such a deal, where was I?

Well I told the guy I’m only 16 and want to go to school for photonics and optics (which I actually do) he lowered the price to 100 (with shipping) for me hoping it will help pursue my dreams, He was a wonder guy really he explained everything to me. Awesome little laser but now the flashlamp is dead, I’m going to try to find a new ruby rod the same size with dielectric coated ends instead of mirrors then get a biggger than normal flash lamp. Fun little project awaits!! Also finally got my SSY-1 to puncture steel!!

How recent did you acquire it on ebay, I can't find any recent M60 hughes lasers sold on ebay lately, I had it in my search to notify me if any came up, how did I miss this? Curious how he had it listed, if you don't mind?

Last edited:
Well he literally listed it as RUBY LASER PROJECT: M60 Tank range finder ruby laser engine, hope that helps Alaskan :) it is actually amazing except that the lamp broke, I got it to fire twice then pop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162854406996

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong for this not to turn up in completed listings, but I found it that way. It is missing the collimation lens for the output, I have one too, it is missing the same lens. Not to discourage, but if you ever decide to give up on this project let me know, I would buy it from you for additional parts. I almost bought a second one with that output lens a few months ago, but the price went too high. If you can't find the exact flash tube maybe you can find one which is a little longer but will still fit?

Last edited:
Man, that's a shame. I would have been very careful with it for this very reason. If you aren't in a tremendous hurry, you should eventually be able to find the exact flash lamp on eBay. I noticed the seller used a 12 volt source to charge his cap bank.