Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

m140 driver

Ruyinju

I recently purchased a broken m140 projector and extracted the 24 2W laser diode bank in it, with a output power of 50W and I wanted to know if there are any cheap drivers out there that I could get 24 of for a cheap price to run each diode.

Immo1282

LPF Site Supporter
I think some members have run banks of many diodes in series before - Don't quote me on that, but you may be able to reduce the number of drivers by ganging up multiple diodes together.

Lifetime17

LPF Site Supporter
Hi ,
In that projector you will not have 24/2w diodes, you will have A140/1.6W diodes and m140 /2+W diodes. The 2W M140,s will have this stamped on the back. And the diodes that do not have the stamp will be A140 diodes. A140 set to 1.8Will give about 1.6+ as where the m140's set at 1.8A will give 2+W's

Rich:)

Attachments

Cyparagon

Get a single 30V 10A bench power supply. Add a balancing resistor in series to each string of 6, and put the 4 strings in parallel. Total drive would then be something like ~27V at ~7.2A. That's what I'm using for a stock 24-diode bank.

LewDude

LPF Site Supporter
If you were looking for a driver to drive ONE diode at a time:

Brace yourself....you said "cheap". I don't know if I'd trust these with an expensive diode - but I've had success using them for the same diodes you are messing with a couple years ago..and they still work :)

Outside of that - making a LM317 driver on your own is about a cheap as you can get. Again, because you have a bunch to play with...I wouldn't be suggesting these for $$$$ diodes.

Good luck!

Ruyinju

If you were looking for a driver to drive ONE diode at a time:

Brace yourself....you said "cheap". I don't know if I'd trust these with an expensive diode - but I've had success using them for the same diodes you are messing with a couple years ago..and they still work :)

Outside of that - making a LM317 driver on your own is about a cheap as you can get. Again, because you have a bunch to play with...I wouldn't be suggesting these for $$$$ diodes.

Good luck!
yeah I was thinking about making my own with some lm317s and some resistors, and the funny thing is is that that driver you recommended, I just bought one for a 1.6W diode I had and I did not have a great experience with the board. but thanks anyway!

LewDude

LPF Site Supporter
yeah I was thinking about making my own with some lm317s and some resistors, and the funny thing is is that that driver you recommended, I just bought one for a 1.6W diode I had and I did not have a great experience with the board. but thanks anyway!
Sorry to hear that! And you are very welcome. (y)