Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M140 Diode

I have finally ordered a 5W 470nm Sanwu laser waiting to collect it on Monday, and I have been told by Sanwulasers that I have to use protected 18650 batteries .
Because I have a lot of flashlights,(29 pieces, from tiny ones till monsters of 32,000 Lumens),I use many batteries,both 18650 and 26650 but not one protected.
So I ask if I use non protected batteries, will the laser be destroyed?

Shouldn't you ask Sanwu ?

AFAIK Sanwu uses their own drivers so I expect that they could best answer your question.

I would think that if Sanwu uses current regulated drivers, you should be fine using an unprotected cell. But don't over discharge them as they don't come back from that.

I finally ordered 2 Keeppower protected batteries from NKON.nl,as there is not possible to buy batteries from Banggood or Gearbest anymore,so I wait to collect.The laser arrives on Monday.
Thank you for your help.

I finally turned on the 5W 470nm silver line laser yesterday,had some difficulty to unlock it,and I have some questions to ask.
If I focus it on a wall at a distance of 12.5m,I see a little square,but not so little,as the circle of a 1.6W blue laser which I also have.So,there is a divergence.
If from the other hand,I use the X3 expander,the little square becomes a big,very fat arc,something that seems weird to me.I think that it had to be smaller,not bigger.
So,can I improve the beam please?
I don't know what kind of lens has Sanwu use in this particular laser.

GSS

I thought you had to focus the primary G2 or G7 lens to a wide spot and then use the expander to focus it down. I'm not sure if 12M is a far enough distance for a expander.
I'm not sure though if this is what your asking??
I would think RedC is the man to chime in...

Last edited:
I repeated the test to 25m,but with the same results.It means that the 3X beam expander is entirely useless with this laser.But not with the other laser I have,the 1.6W blue one,which focuses way better with the same expander.

Focus your primary to infinity ( tightest spot at infinity ) then attach your beam expander, or you can focus your primary at your favorite working distance to get a slightly tighter spot at that favorite working distance, multi element primary lenses such as the 3 element can cause wings ( spherical aberrations ) around your spot when focusing to your target seen more in low light conditions.

---EDIT---

Also remember that these multi mode lasers have an uneven divergence so unlike a Gaussian beam such as a dpss 532nm the multi mode blues will produce a rectangle/line shaped spot, they can also produce artifacts.

Last edited:
I try to send some pictures,or video,to see yourself exactly what it is .Are there some instruction to do it please?
Edit.
Unfortunately I didn't know anything about the uneven divergence of the multi mode lasers.

Last edited: