Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M140 diode broken ? or wrong driving method ?

Hi, so there is my problem I bought a m140 2w diode, made a home driver to drive the laser diode with 0.45A and 3.5V but the diode doesn't lighting powerful like in videos or more... So why my diode is lighting so low, I don't think that it's broken because I watched out for static electricity ... can someone help me ? :banghead:

<resize your pictures>

Last edited by a moderator:

daguin

You also need to heat sink that module
Your diode is going to heat up pretty fast with just the module to carry the heat
That heat will stress your diodes fairly quickly

Otherwise, keep to VERY short duty cycles

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
I have already a heatsink but it's small I'll replace it by a bigger one :thanks:

Last edited:
Forward Voltage should be at least 4,6V-4,8V for the M140 regardless the current ;)

yeah the diodes voltage is 4.8V I'll play with the current now :bowdown:
what's the max current the m140 can support with 4.8 V ?

Last edited:
They can usually take upwards of 1.8A. But to be safe (especially for someone new - trust me, it sucks when your first build dies), you could stick around 1-1.4A and still get some sweet burning power.

As its your first build, you'll be awed regardless of whether you have 800mW or 2W. It'll all look the same. Also - be careful with your eyes!

The current matters if you drive the diode at 5,5V with a constant current source like a driver at let's say at 1,8A the driver will automatically adjust the forward voltage to exactly the value the diode needs at that current you could even put something like 7V on it doesn't matter on a constant current source !

Thanks guys for everything :bowdown:

img.php
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited: