Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lumia project. In progress. R/G/V

Tmack

Hey guys. Just picked up two lab style units from axis. 180mw 635 150mw 405 for a lumia build. They are in need of a 12v power supply. This is something I know nothing about ( not proud) could someone help me with what I need to pick up to power these things. I've looked at many 12v power supplies on eBay and such, but it doesn't tell me any info on wiring, etc. any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot guys , like I said I know this isn't a complex thing but I would love to hear suggestions as this community knows the best way to go about things of this nature that a DIY tutorial just couldn't match .

Tony

Last edited:

Re: Lumia project. Power supply question

A modified computer power supply should get you lasing in not time. If you send me a picture of the connectors, and the devices, I'll have a wiring diagram and a how to sent to you by Tommorow.

Here is what I use: Pyramid - PS15K - 10 Amp Power Supply w/Cigarette Lighter Plug

The price is a bit high. You can usually pick one up used for way less than that. The 2N3055 on the back are often the first thing to go and then they can be had for almost nothing. Just replace them and you have a nice $5 power supply. The older ones don't have the cigarette lighter socket. They make some over 50A too depending on your needs.

Tmack

Thanks for the info guys. If I go for the cheap wall adapters, don't I need a specific amperage?

It has to be able to deliver at least enough to power whatever it is you're running. I don't know exactly what
those units draw, but for instance say the 635 with the driver and everything draws 300mA and the 405
draws 150mA, making total of 450mA. So figure at least 500mA on the power supply. Just figure out
what both units together will draw and go a bit more. It doesn't matter how many amps the power
supply can deliver as long as it is at least enough to power what you're connecting to it. You could use
a 3000A capable power supply and it wouldn't matter because the drivers will take care of the current
limiting.

Last edited:

Tmack

Was thinking instead of just one disc for the lumia, have four small discs spinning around one central motor. Imagine a tea cup carnival ride. So each disc/ tea cup would have a different pattern and it would cycle through each type. I found a kids toy braclet maker that spins four outer strings around a central point by turning one lever. All I have to do is connect the lever to the motor and the four outer points would rotate around the central point. This would create so many different patterns, even when the central point does a 360 the smaller discs would be at totally different positions for many cycles. Ghetto but it could work!

Last edited:

Tmack

Anyone know if the axis labbies are any good .

Thanks man. Need to find a housing that can handle all this. A surround sound subwoofer box may be perfect. Has plenty of room and a precut hole for the beams to exit. The units are already cooled but I would like to cut a square in the back of the box to instal another pc fan to push air into the box. Going to look like a tea cup ride with distorted shot glasses or discs from a top view. The red and violet should look nice together

get one of these:

Mean Well AC DC Power Supply Single Output 12 Volt 5A 60W | eBay

Hey guys. Just picked up two lab style units from axis. 180mw 635 150mw 405 for a lumia build. They are in need of a 12v power supply. This is something I know nothing about ( not proud) could someone help me with what I need to pick up to power these things. I've looked at many 12v power supplies on eBay and such, but it doesn't tell me any info on wiring, etc. any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot guys , like I said I know this isn't a complex thing but I would love to hear suggestions as this community knows the best way to go about things of this nature that a DIY tutorial just couldn't match .

Tony

Tmack

That say single output but looks like multiple. Iv purchased 2 adapter I plan to rewire like cyparagon and another member suggested.
Anyone built a permanent lumia unit. Would love to hear any ideas that I could learn from to avoid some problems I may have overlooked.

Oh and ideas for distorting some discs would be great too.
Thanks again guys....... Tony

Some of the guys are secretive about it, but there is a thread already with some suggestions on the disc
bending.

Tmack

Yeah haks lumia thread has some great info thanks.

Anybody know the quality of the aixiz labbies.

I liked Pman epoxy light bulbs. Maybe I can do that with some of the big colored Christmas bulbs

building one of these? ;)

lumia-guts.jpg

Tmack

How did you get a picture of my build?! Haha that thing looks awesome.

One concern I have for the set up is that at any given point the four discs might be at the same position every time they pass a beam. So they will always project the same pattern as it is rotating. Which wouldn't look bad at all , but to add a sense of dynamic movement you might want to think about a diffraction grating between the laser module and the lima wheels.

One other thing to think about is are the smaller wheels turning at a 1:1 ratio with the main wheel? My thoughts are they will be going significantly faster and may not project the slow transition between the effects as well.

Having said that I am glad I subbed and will be watching this project closely, sounds like an awesome idea! :pop: