Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LuckLaser.com & BigLasers.com (The fine line between fraud and legit)

Come on, guys. We ORDERED a lab laser (671nm Red DPSS Laser System | BigLasers.com), and asked Colin for their spec on coherence lenght. He replied it was 50cm, which is not unreasonable for this class of lasers and the price. What we got was a laser with <1mm coherence length, which in this spec is no better than a laser pointer. That's what I meant when I wrote "$5K laser pointer". When we presented the vendor with evidence of this short coherence length, he first claimed ignorance and lack of technical savvy, then just went silent.
I'm posting this to warn people about this vendor, not to draw your judgement on our level of common sense. Buying from China is very common and ordinary these days, we do it all the time, and it does not mean every vendor is a scam artist. But this one evidently is.

diachi

Come on, guys. We ORDERED a lab laser (671nm Red DPSS Laser System | BigLasers.com), and asked Colin for their spec on coherence lenght. He replied it was 50cm, which is not unreasonable for this class of lasers and the price. What we got was a laser with <1mm coherence length, which in this spec is no better than a laser pointer. That's what I meant when I wrote "$5K laser pointer". When we presented the vendor with evidence of this short coherence length, he first claimed ignorance and lack of technical savvy, then just went silent.
I'm posting this to warn people about this vendor, not to draw your judgement on our level of common sense. Buying from China is very common and ordinary these days, we do it all the time, and it does not mean every vendor is a scam artist. But this one evidently is.

Figured that's what you meant!

Yeah, $5k isn't really unreasonable for 671 with the quoted specs, I assume the other specs (Stability, noise etc) were also very impressive. Not that it makes a difference if they never delivered what they promised.

Hope you can get your money back at least! Too many shady companies out there.

Perhaps deal with CNI, they're a large commercial manufacturer, probably one of the best for this sort of thing outside of the US/EU without getting something completely custom. They're at the least honest, if their lasers can't meet your specs they'll tell you up front. Many members here have had good experiences dealing directly with them.

Encap

Figured that's what you meant!

Yeah, $5k isn't really unreasonable for 671 with the quoted specs, I assume the other specs (Stability, noise etc) were also very impressive. Not that it makes a difference if they never delivered what they promised.

Hope you can get your money back at least! Too many shady companies out there.

Perhaps deal with CNI, they're a large commercial manufacturer, probably one of the best for this sort of thing outside of the US/EU without getting something completely custom. They're at the least honest, if their lasers can't meet your specs they'll tell you up front. Many members here have had good experiences dealing directly with them.

Great suggestion, diachi.

Stephan77: I meant in my comment before that you need to use better judgement--you could have easily guessed dealing with BigLasers was a waste of time--they clearly make nothing.
BigLasers claim:
" We are proud to be the only laser provider based in the United States with such a wide range of lasers to choose from, in business since 2005. No wonder we've become the #1 destination for all things Lasers. Feel free to contact a certified laser technician should you have any questions via 1-877-256-6513 or email" yet every pointer they sell that is over 5mW, except one, and is illegal to sell as an item of commerce in the USA according to the FDA rules and regulations.
See: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/ucm302664.htm
BigLasers is clearly full of donkey dust con men from the get/go ---live and learn.

Next time contact the manufacturer or one of their legit Distributors instead of flaky reseller with nothing on the shelf, doesn't know lasers , and would be selling ping pong balls if not lasers.

CNI will sell direct no problems, meet whatever spec necessary or say they can't honestly and they have 23 legit distributors worldwide whom you can shop for best price ---you can see the details here: Contact CNI

Do you know who manufactured the unit you received? If BigLasers DPSS systems are made by CNI, and their list of available types and wavelengths looks lifted from CNI list about a year ago, they are not a legit CNI distributor.
You can complain to CNI or whomever made the system you received claiming your were hoodwinked by an unscrupulous reseller who didn't even comprehend your required specs and delivered an inadequate system---maybe they will make it right.

Barring that I hope you can get your money back--good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Razako

You should immediately file a paypal claim or CC chargeback, and then take the money and buy a quality laser from CNI. That's really all you can do.

I'm afraid to spend 100 dollars buying laser stuff from China, 5000 would never happen. Too many scam artists in the China laser seller industry, Techhood I trust more than most, but those guys, not.

Thanks for the link to the Lab Laser... Makes
more sense now.
I just couldn't picture a Laser Pointer as stated
in your first post for $5000.00.

Jerry

Last edited:
Those don't appear to look anything like CNI heads so these are either manufactured by BigLasers or purchased from another manufacturer, either way do what other members have suggested. Get your money back!

-Alex

BroomRider

Hello!

I don't mean to “necro” this thread, but I wish I had known about BigLasers.com prior to making a purchase from them!

Hello!

I don't mean to “necro” this thread, but I wish I had known about BigLasers.com prior to making a purchase from them!

Yeah, it's always a good idea to investigate any company you intend on spending a lot of money with. There have been so many fraudulent companies. Mostly Chinese.

BroomRider

Yeah, it's always a good idea to investigate any company you intend on spending a lot of money with. There have been so many fraudulent companies. Mostly Chinese.
BigLasers.com seems to be based in or around the NY, USA area; likely, a drop-ship point. The "Monarch" I bought is definitely Chinese.

Emailing with “Phil”, he wrote very colloquially, no “Chinglish” noted.