Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPM Options

Mathewe

While I'm eyeballing a few commercially available LPM's... I'm also wondering if there are any descent, 'proven' DIY builds that would be dependable and accurate enough for an entry level hobbyist, such as myself. I'm typically a DIY sort of guy, but not so sure about this one. I'm having a hard time locating anything that I believe to be worthy, in the DIY department. I may simply be looking in all the wrong places, for good designs, then again. Perhaps this is something best left to the pro's and I should just purchase an already proven piece of trustworthy equipment. I'm open for advice, hints, and suggestions...

While I'm eyeballing a few commercially available LPM's... I'm also wondering if there are any descent, 'proven' DIY builds that would be dependable and accurate enough for an entry level hobbyist, such as myself. I'm typically a DIY sort of guy, but not so sure about this one. I'm having a hard time locating anything that I believe to be worthy, in the DIY department. I may simply be looking in all the wrong places, for good designs, then again. Perhaps this is something best left to the pro's and I should just purchase an already proven piece of trustworthy equipment. I'm open for advice, hints, and suggestions...
Laserbee all the way..

Giannis_TDM

Search for some genteceo/melles griot/coherent stuff on ebay, much better than any other hobbist made LPM and very affordable if you find a good deal, if you want, I know where you can get brand new 10w gentec eo sensors made so you can hock up your voltmeter to read the power for 65 euros + shipping, calibrated and everything, if you wait for it to cool down (2min abouts) between measurements, you can do up to 20w. can also measure energy pulses up to 5J

Mathewe

Search for some genteceo/melles griot/coherent stuff on ebay, much better than any other hobbist made LPM and very affordable if you find a good deal, if you want, I know where you can get brand new 10w gentec eo sensors made so you can hock up your voltmeter to read the power for 65 euros + shipping, calibrated and everything, if you wait for it to cool down (2min abouts) between measurements, you can do up to 20w. can also measure energy pulses up to 5J
65 euro's sounds tempting. More details, please!

I've tried a DIY thing with a big heatsink, black chalkboard paint and a TEC0, connected to a multimeter, and then a lock-in amplifier, but it was too crude, and didn't give me any useable results...

I have not tried this: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/diy-thermal-lpm-for-under-50.51129/ , but it could be a little project to try.

Me, though, I broke down and bought the LPM from the laser pointer store. It seems to work fine for my application. It's be nice if it had better resolution at the low end, and the upper limit is not quite as advertised (look at the manual first), but it was extremely inexpensive, so I have zero regrets with the purchase.

Mathewe

I've tried a DIY thing with a big heatsink, black chalkboard paint and a TEC0, connected to a multimeter, and then a lock-in amplifier, but it was too crude, and didn't give me any useable results...

I have not tried this: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/diy-thermal-lpm-for-under-50.51129/ , but it could be a little project to try.

Me, though, I broke down and bought the LPM from the laser pointer store. It seems to work fine for my application. It's be nice if it had better resolution at the low end, and the upper limit is not quite as advertised (look at the manual first), but it was extremely inexpensive, so I have zero regrets with the purchase.
A lot of diy LPM's, that I've looked at, are based upon similar designs as presented via your link. It seems as though resolution, at the lower end, is a common issue to be expected in such low cost LPM's. I intend to kick a few things around, including 'that' design. "What the heck?" The components are rather cheap, therefore. There's really nothing to lose in tinkering with such devices. I've no doubt that a bit of head scratching, experimentation and persistence could go a long ways in low cost improvements to such hobbyist related electronic gadgetry! "The Devil is in the details!" Given time, perhaps I can find an affordable electronic priest(s) to satisfactorily exorcise that low-level 'Devil'! :cautious:
"Maybe not." Either way... "It can't hurt to try!"