Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPF's Banana Peel Challenge

Should we do an LPF version of the Banana Peel Challenge?

• Total voters
Moron actually thought we were going to do a laser burn challenge, lol.... Must be CrazyJay back here again with another one of his puppets.

diachi

Moron actually thought we were going to do a laser burn challenge, lol.... Must be CrazyJay back here again with another one of his puppets.

That'd be my guess. Must have a really sad and boring life. Oh well.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
What a joke, obviously we are not implying we will go ahead with the challenge. Just a bit of humour. :)

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Anyone tried the banana peel yet? :D As long as people use some [un]common sense and do it in an open area away from furniture and obstacles it should be pretty unlikely to get hurt. :D

Reminds me of that Mythbusters episode where they built an arena with hundreds of banana peels on the ground. Looked like so much fun to slide around on:

Benm

Anyone tried the banana peel yet? :D As long as people use some [un]common sense and do it in an open area away from furniture and obstacles it should be pretty unlikely to get hurt. :D

Well, you better use protective gear like mythbusters did if you try.

The type of fall caused by slipping on a banana peal is actually quite likely to result in serious injury on a hard surface. The problem is that you typically slide feet-forward, landing on your back with your head hitting the floor. This can give you pretty serious head injuries.

The type of fall when you fall forward (like tripping over a wire suspended low across the road) is somewhat less dangerous. Most people will be able to brace their fall with their arms, resulting in things like fractures to wrists and arms, but often not in severe head injury (though you could knock out teeth if unlucky, which is more expensive to fix than dangerous to die from).

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Well, you better use protective gear like mythbusters did if you try.

The type of fall caused by slipping on a banana peal is actually quite likely to result in serious injury on a hard surface. The problem is that you typically slide feet-forward, landing on your back with your head hitting the floor. This can give you pretty serious head injuries.

The type of fall when you fall forward (like tripping over a wire suspended low across the road) is somewhat less dangerous. Most people will be able to brace their fall with their arms, resulting in things like fractures to wrists and arms, but often not in severe head injury (though you could knock out teeth if unlucky, which is more expensive to fix than dangerous to die from).

Yep, I believe that the Mythbusters built that arena as a thin plastic film covering a layer plywood which itself was built on a layer of tires so that it would be kind of springy and not too hard to fall on.

Benm

They usually think their stunts through indeed, and also do these with visilble body protection.

I landed on my back after a slip like that on my back as a kid. Didn't suffer any lasting damage, but the result was a profusely bleading wound on my had that required some stithes to close. This was lucky though as i hit my head on the base of a pole that had some give, not on solid concrete.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I landed on my back after a slip like that on my back as a kid. Didn't suffer any lasting damage, but the result was a profusely bleading wound on my had that required some stithes to close. This was lucky though as i hit my head on the base of a pole that had some give, not on solid concrete.

Usually when I'd find a large piece of very slippery ice on the ground, I'd run and try to slide as far as possible. :D Was fun, but resulted in a few falls backwards. Fortunately I never sustained any injury worse that a couple bruises as I'd just land on my back and curl up which prevented my head from ever going all the way back and hitting the ground. Also less distance to fall is one advantage of being relatively short (I'm only ~5'2") :D.

Benm

Hehe... i guess something from the base of that pole was a bit sharp resulting in a gash rather than just a bump on the head.

Surely as a kid i did all those things too, sliding over frozen ponds and stuff like that. Mosty just bumps and bruises, but kids are flexible like that ;)

Then again i managed to fall into a creek several times trying to catch stickeback fish as well, even when the water was freezing cold.. not much of a problem either.

I guess a lot has changed in 20-30 years or so. I biked to school from age 6 or something like that (and managed to get hit by a car at 11, landing in a fence 10 meters away without any serious injury). Back then taking busses and trains from age 12/13 even to nearby cities wasn't a problem either.

Now i see stories about people outraged about 11-12 year olds taking the subway by themselves and all. I'm pretty sure i would have done that regularly if we had one in the town i lived back then ;)