Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lpf

How about if everyone gets 100 points a day to keep or give away as little as 1 at a time to who ever you want and to give a neg still cost you 1 point.
1000 points adding up to 1 rep.

Most people would keep theirs to vote down poor contributors and only reward those who really contributed.

The ability to rep should cost something either way.

After you reach 100 reps you get 200 points a day, when you reach 500 reps you get 300 points a day and so on.

Your daily limit of points transfer can be no more than twice your daily allotment.

The idea is to foster a cohesive environment where everyone strives to be a good contributor, without a reward system it loses something, also when I get advise from a vet with high rep I feel like I can trust what they say, otherwise I might fry my new whatever because Joe Newbie told me black was positive.
Also after I fry my new whatever on the advice of Joe Newbie he deserves some neg, -100 for that day.

Last edited:

RCB, I would be very surprised if the bulletin software had such a function, I just can't see it being able to do that, even if we voted it in. I'd also be surprised if it had the ability to tally both positives and negatives to be displayed in separate lines.

Maybe my idea of a pos/neg rep system is actually worse, then there is no redemption at all, the negs stay tallied forever, but so do the positives. But if the rep system provides a function to keep infighting down (I question this) and members in line, perhaps a permanent record would do so even more? Ah, maybe the current system is better due to the ability to redeem yourself, I had a neg stripe about as wide as I now have green in the past and it's gone. However, leaving the negs for all to see right next to a high number of positives might give some members a pinch of humility, I think.

I like the one vote one point idea the most, the software probably can be changed to allow at least that, but there are guys who want to be able to either give a hand full of points, or take a hand full of points away at one shot who might not want to lay their horns of plenty or weapons of war down to do so. Also, it's kind of unfair to new members who can't build the reps as fast as the old timers could, in fact, reducing the ability to give more than 5 reps a day has already done that. I mostly wanted the ability to give negs to the same person be reduced far more and lesson the weight of their impact from high rep members who use them unwisely, such as I did. As my ex-wife would say, I'm no angel :p

All in all, any change to the rep system now is unfair to new members because they will never be able to reach reps as fast as members could in the past, if reduced.... unless only the weight of negative posts are reduced, as well as their frequency from any one member, but I don't think the software gives such freedom to change the way the system works. When I think about this more, this is a hard nut to crack, the system can still be abused anyway, one way or another, I think.

This is probably all moot in the long run anyway, looking at the history of active members, most don't stay in the group more than a period of months to a couple of years or more anyway, changes made now will become the norm for most members soon enough.

Last edited:
@FUBeaches -

:crackup:

My original neg rep post to was over this post specifically;

http://laserpointerforums.com/f59/s...ty-give-reps-old-posts-96071.html#post1397127

Now you'll note at the time VisibleGreen was bickering non stop.

I neg repped him specifically as follows;
""They should ban you here and now imo." - Says the kettle to the pot."

with no other statements in that thread or others regarding the matter up to that point.

Instead of reacting with ANY level of maturity, he has now done this...

HHW5ayJ.jpg

For the 5th time. His count not mine, it's actually the fourth time... but I suppose basic arithmetic is another thing he has to develop.

So far the mods have removed those reps, without me asking, which I appreciate. Nor have they reprimanded VisibleGreen. Now I have to wonder though, what does constitute rep abuse? This sure seems like it to me.

And incidentally, this whole drama with VisibleGreen, started due to his own claims of rep abuse by Cypararon. Sweet sweet irony :p

Why don't we just leave it alone and learn to work within the system?

If someone is mean to 4 people then 4 people gang up on him, lets police ourselves and lets not ignore when one of us is wrong, I need to be straightened out sometimes too, I just learned what 1/4 and 1/2 wave plates are the other day, that info is more valuable than all this rep flap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REALLY INFINI, 5th time .......so is one of us in need of a spanking

How has VG negged Infinitus 3 times today?

Last edited:
Regarding the rep system I think it works fine how it is when emotions are removed from the mix. It works well to indicate who has been contributing positively or negatively. In a hobby where foul advice can permanently blind at worst or cost you expensive hardware at best, it's a needed system.

As for VG's apology and the subsequent issues. If you really want to make amends don't get tripped up on the first pebble on the road. Keep along the set path and work through it. Also, don't pick up the pebble and turn around and throw it at someone =P. Just my $0.02.

In my experience Cyp and IE are both good guys who are easy to get along with. We've had our differences in the past but via courteous calm interaction we've come to understandings and since garnered healthy respect for one another. There no reason why anyone else couldn't do the same if they decide they want to and follow through. A bit of empathy and understanding goes a long way.

Listen to your Ears and Eggs on this one (pun intended).

P.s. You're still 2007Rev to me, Ears. =P

^Unfortunately, I have to agree with IE here. Not to further this, but why does he keep giving you negative reputation after an apology where he would stop?

Im going to remove my first post about believing him...

-Alex

I must say I liked it the way it was before more, even with the manipulations....

VG i hope that you will stick to your word..... best of luck i'm awaiting for possitive change to the forum.

Well... Everybody Lies...The only variable is about what...

Last edited:
Thank God, but how did he slide under the radar for almost 5 years?
At least he won't be blazing away at me with both barrels through messages anymore also!!

It's really not that hard. On the plus side our mods are now also much better at tracking people like that. Likely only went unnoticed because the account was not new.

He's gone now, and
TKCy8D0.gif

I suggest we let the
V5ibOrJ.gif

end here and move onto more important things. Like this

sJG3LQQ.gif

so when someone get banned is it an account ban or IP ban?
IP ban means VG can't visit the forum as guest?

Last edited:
Account ban. Banned members can continue to view the forum without logging in.

IP's are logged though, so if he tries to join with another username, he'll be gone fairly quickly.