Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPF App?

Elyas

I think LPF needs an app for smart phones, it's kind of really hard to post and loading image is literally impossible, my Ideas for the app is that it should have a "store" and all members could list and buy their accessories and parts. It would make life tone easier! so plz vote the thread so we could have a LPF app. Cheers :)

Posted via IPhone

IsaacT

Welcome to the land of neg rep random dude....

In other news: i like the idea of an app

^^ spam reported. It's weird I get crazy emails of the same fashion sometimes...

Example:
Hugely every one in the minutiae was worldly, by the arcade, that the eloquent locality had, within the first two or could say of his trade among banns, uttered some absolutely inconsolable allusions to commission Herzenstubes qualifications.

On topic, I think that would be a great idea. I mainly use the forum from a tablet. There are apps specifically for browsing forums. Tapatalk comes to mind

Last edited:
It's been tried before, and discussed... (tapatalk, many many times) ultimately when an app was available, there wasn't enough interest in it, to maintain it.

benmwv

I didn't like the app all that much.

About half my LPFing is from my phone, half from a computer. I really don't think its hard at all to use from my phone. I'm posting from it right now :D

The LPF App that I would imagine would be more like Tapatalk, forum reader with easy on app photo taking and posting.
Reading would be easy to navigate and would allow for a separate screen for latest news.
A separate in app store would require its own SSL server which may not be worth the upkeep.

Elyas

well I agree with some of you guys who says there is no need for it. The reason the old app collapsed was because there wasn't much smart phones users and now everyone has got one, and personally as an individual I barely go on the PC besides when I am uploading any image. Oh one more thing LPF should have a gallery with different laser categories. While google searching I see beautiful lasers from LPF but I don't see any whilst I am the forum I hope youse know what I mean.

Coby

I'd be interested in this also, I also have some experience developing for mobile devices. Just out of curiousity, Elyas, would you be able to support the project as a developer?

I'm a mainframe programmer in my daily life but am passionate about programming. :)

Elyas

I'd be interested in this also, I also have some experience developing for mobile devices. Just out of curiousity, Elyas, would you be able to support the project as a developer?

I'm a mainframe programmer in my daily life but am passionate about programming. :)

I unfortunately have no experiance in software development, although I would love to be involved in it. Let me know if I could contribute in any other way. :)

Coby

Ok no problem :)

There would be some requirements to make a succesful app though. Are there any API functions to get, for example, a topics posts and posters? This would best be formatted in JSON to save bandwidth.

It would be necessary to build a system that can generate the "views" by taking the JSON data and interpreting it. Just taking the full HTML output of the site would be equivalent to just using your mobile browser in terms of bandwidth & speed.

Edit: Oh and this would most likely be written for Android first. I have experience in developing IOS applications but it's been a long time ago and I don't have an IOS device to actually test this on. That and I don't have an IOS developer account (which costs money :p)

Last edited:

IsaacT

You can get a free developer account. I know because I haz one. I used quartz to make music visualizer wallpapers.

Coby

Ok that's good news. Does a free account give me the possibility to put apps on the market? Also I'd be limited to testing with the simulator.

IsaacT

I am not sure....all I ever worked with in the Dev Tools was Quartz Composer, which is like a coloring book in terms of programming difficulty....never tried an app, as it was beyond me. You might be able to throw up free apps, but if you wanted to make money you would need an account....I think that is how it was at least.

Isaac