Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Low powered Laser, why a GREAT success in BIRD control?

diachi

Critical missing info from what I've read above? What time of day was the red laser used? I don't know about you, but, I need to see the red dot in order to aim the red dot. That said, I've tried aiming the cheapo red laser at about where I think they can see it and, depending on the bird, they kinda' shrug it off, or pause as if wondering "wtf is that?" But do they scoot? Not really. So, color me skeptical.

Might want to check the date of the last post on this thread... It's nearly 7 years old.

Well dang, I guess I won't be hearing back from them. lol Still getting the hang of what all to check in what corner of the window before chiming in.

Benm

Guess not, but birds haven't changed much in 7 years ;)

Lasers are used around airports to chase away things like geese, i think they're still doing that around amsterdam airport once in a while use green lasers.

City pigeons don't seem to give a rats ass for any color though. These birds are pests where i live, and many measures are taken to limit the damage they do - including installing spikes on top of outdoor displays at bus stops and such to prevent them shitting all over them.

They also sit on my balcony railing once in a while, but scaring them off with lasers has had limited to no effect. The color doesn't seem to matter either, i've tried green, red, blue, 405nm, nothing seems to really deter them.

I suppose using high power would make them fly off, but that would be high power in the sense of actually burning them to the move because it causes pain. Hitting them in the face with something powerful enough to damage human vision doesnt even seem to bother them.

And i'm not saying one should maim birds with lasers, but these pigeons are a true pest around here, and comfortable with humans to the point where they'll literally grab a sandwich from your hands if you eat one walking down the street.

Other birds do react to low powered lasers though. We get sparrows migrating in huge flocks around here a couple of times a year, and you can get the whole flock to move by just hitting one bird on the side.

Birds like magpies and crows seem interested in the dot, not affraid of it, perhaps a bit like cats behave. I usually don't bother them though, they're not problematic here at all and might even be useful predating on those bloody pigeons :D

Encap

Critical missing info from what I've read above? What time of day was the red laser used? I don't know about you, but, I need to see the red dot in order to aim the red dot. That said, I've tried aiming the cheapo red laser at about where I think they can see it and, depending on the bird, they kinda' shrug it off, or pause as if wondering "wtf is that?" But do they scoot? Not really. So, color me skeptical.

Are you aware the last post to this thread was 7 years ago?

Why are you necroposting on this thread --dead now for 7 years already?

Necroposting is very frowned upon here unless you are adding some important information--something new.

Husker

Would a 500mW 532nm Green Laser harm a Goose at around 40-50 Yards away? Been trying to keep Geese off a pond but don't wanna blind them, so, at that distance does it still do harm?.

It could blind them, there are bird dazzlers which have a broad enough beam output to be much safer.