Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looks like I'll be moving to HongKong

S_L , I want to wish you the best of luck with your relocation and continuing your higher educational instruction pursuits. I moved from Texas to Oklahoma exactly two years ago and I got to tell you it has been pretty tough both with learning the language and having to give up my Texas citizenship. :yabbem:

What language? Are you referring to regional dialect?

I would say it has been a bit beyond mastering basic dialectual nuances and more of a sociolinguistic transition, where Texan English actually exists as a sub-dialect of the Southern American English Dialect. It is also a bit disconcerting that I still think mostly in Texan and still struggle a bit to maintain fluent English conversation, without unconsciously slipping back into my normal thick southern drawl accent.

Note the following links for reference to a few basic examples of the myriad colloquial distinctions between Texan dialogisms and that of common American English:
Texasisms: A Glossary of Texan
How to Speak Texan
Texan-English Dictionary

Also of note is that Texas English owes much of its origin to the socio-nationalistic-independent formative years during the pre-statehood Republic of Texas historical period.

Edit: This post can also be used to test any Bullshit Meter you have that may that may be in need of re-calibration; however, caution should be excercised as this post may cause damage to those meters having the lowest most sensitive detection ranges. :whistle:

Simply put, "Texan" is one of 18 registered American dialects. A dialect is a dialect no matter how you look at it.
Cantonese vs Mandarin = language difference. Londonese English vs Cockney English = Dialect difference.

So now do you have to open a new account here under the name of "HKlasers" ?
:crackup:
And I second the comment about posting some pictures when you get settled in.

Don't forget your earthquake kit !

So now do you have to open a new account here under the name of "HKlasers" ?
:crackup:
And I second the comment about posting some pictures when you get settled in.

Don't forget your earthquake kit !

Not particularly prone to Earthquakes like Japan or Taiwan. There have been small ones and a large historic quake in 1921.

What HK residents need to be VERY careful of is Super Typhoons. Warm water is an excellent breeding ground for Typhoons and sometimes a Super Typhoon.

Heard on the news today that Hong Kong has just managed to reclaim the title for "The Most Expensive Place To LIve" again.
However, this is based strickly on dollar value (yen) and accomodation rates. (Home prices, taxes, rentals, etc.)
Not taken into consideration are the relative wages of the residents, the larger demographic of the population, or many of the other expenses that accompany living somewhere.
So you can still look forward to moving. :whistle:

Uhm... I think your news might a tad off...

imagesizer

If you base the info off of prices for places to live, then yes, HongKong is in at #1 , However food and clothing are very cheap there and you can escape the high cost of places to live by living outside the city boundaries.

btw, HongKong uses the $HK.

Last edited: