Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looks like I'll be moving to HongKong

Unfortunately due to my work situation in S.Korea, I will be forced to move to HongKong by August. I was hoping I'd stay for another year. :cryyy:

I applied to a new International School in Seoul back in February, I was first in the door basically, and got the whole "we're interested" routine. Then nearly 4 months later I get a secondary interview for a technology position but the school wants IB experience, which I don't have. I'm not an IB teacher, though IB is not actually as "special" as it's made out to be. Much of the core theory is simular to the B.C. IRPs, for core courses and F/A programs. Marking is where the majority of the difference occurs.
They offered to train me. They explain that they'd let me know what the situation is by the beginning of June. No reply for nearly 2 weeks. Yesterday it took me 4 phonecalls to get through to them. Meanwhile on Tuesday, HongKong MOE offers 5 different schools for work. - The International school in Korea explains to me that their intention was to have me stick around and do PT work. *FORGET IT!*

Hong Kong offers $3000 USD to start plus $2300 for APT rent a month. Korea offers nothing close to this calibre.

Good bye Korea. Hello HongKong.

Last edited:

I don't know what any of those abbreviation mean, but congratulations on the raise and change of scenery!

While in Hong Kong you might be able to find lots of laser goodies!

Good Luck on the new job! Hope it works out, maybe a change in scenery will be nice.

Based on your other posts, it didn't seem like you were too enamored with Korea.

This could be a very good thing... a complete change of scenery, with a bump in salary.

It should be a really interesting change in scenery!

I guess it is really hot and humid there, I've always wanted to go to Hong Kong, it looks really neat there with the mountains as a backdrop to the city and the water.

I wonder if any of the Laser companies in Hong Kong have walk in service? Nevertheless it sure will be convenient!

Based on your other posts, it didn't seem like you were too enamored with Korea.

This could be a very good thing... a complete change of scenery, with a bump in salary.

I like my parents in law and they are Korean and
most Koreans I have got to know have been fine.
The miserableness of quality of life and the poor treatment at work
really got to me. Xenophobia especially.

You sound reserved in that decision to move. I wish you prosperity in that tuff circumstance.

Do you think after things settle you could get me a good discount on a 500mW 535nm module... LOL j/k.

Blord

You will like Hong Kong very much. It is a real food paradise.
But the weather can be very moisty and very hot. Good luck over there !

Do me a favor, S_L and take LOTS of pictures for us after you move! I've always wanted to see (and eat stuff in) HK!

I wish you the very best in this move and hope your new employer treats you better.

Blord

I love the Cantonese food. Especially the Dim Sum. I could eat that on daily base. :drool:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2796.JPG
    IMG_2796.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 305
There's IB outside of North America? I didn't know it stretched that far and is a valued trait out there. lol

So as a foreign teacher, the school pays for your rent? Sounds like an awesome job. Why international though? You can make great money here in Canada. Or is it the foreign experience you're going for? Or the excitement... the food... the foreign Asian women? lol :p

Last edited:
I like my parents in law and they are Korean and
most Koreans I have got to know have been fine.
The miserableness of quality of life and the poor treatment at work
really got to me. Xenophobia especially.

Maybe you could move them out there at some point? Also a possibility that you can eventually move back to Korea.

Unfortunately most of us spend more time at work, than at home, so if you're not happy during the time, the move will be a good thing.

Regardless, good luck to you :beer:

I love the Cantonese food. Especially the Dim Sum. I could eat that on daily base. :drool:

attachment.php

Yum.... I'm now 100% hungry:p

Your going to have access to a lot of cheap 532nm lasers. You should start a small export service. Try and find us some cheap fire dragons:)

And Good Luck to you!

There's IB outside of North America? I didn't know it stretched that far and is a valued trait out there. lol

So as a foreign teacher, the school pays for your rent? Sounds like an awesome job. Why international though? You can make great money here in Canada. Or is it the foreign experience you're going for? Or the excitement... the food... the foreign Asian women? lol :p

What did you think I.B. stood for?. International baccalaureate originated in Geneva, Switzerland in 1968 and then came to N.A. soon after. Currently I.B. is offered in ~ 140 countries.

Nope, Canada pays in oil patch but the taxes make it next to impossible to save.
HK is 10-15%. I will make somewhere in the range of 4.5-6.7K CDN a month + apartment subsidy from the govt.

yeah... I'll make more in HK than even in S.Korea.
Real job, with real pay.

as far as the local scenery goes, I am already married to a Korean lady. She will be coming with me.
I am also going to invest in Thailand as well. I have an opportunity to buy some land with my Thai sister in law in around "som" S.Central province.

I keep you guys in the laser loop. Don't worry.

Last edited: