Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to upgrade. So many choices!! HELP

matt z

Hello all,

I just joined LPF and am a realitve noob. A few years back I bouth a <5mw green laser. And I LOVE it! But after reading some of the posts on here, I think it might be time to add to my collection.

First off, this is what i'd like in my new laser. Im not picky on the color, probably green, just not red. It'd be awesome if I could see the beam in a lit room. And i'd like to be able to do the whole pop balloons and light matches and melt tape/garbage bags and burn things with it. Something really bright that I can impress my friends with. So im thinking what I want is a >100mw green laser?

Ive been looking around online (wicked, deal extreme, dragonlasers, etc) and ive noticed that the prices are all over the board. Prices range from $40 - $400 for a >100mw, and I know you get what you pay for. So.... Im thinking I might want to build my own. Jayrob has some pretty sweet kits, im just not sure what I really want.

A little about me: I am pretty good with a soldeing iron and can build almost anything, so building any kit wont be a problem. (mechanical engineer major)

My budget is <$200, less being better of course (as I am a broke-college-student) But as you can probably tell, I am open to any and all suggestions.

:thanks:
matt z

You will find that building it yourself is the best way to go.

You will find O-like the best source for bare laser modules.
Jay can provide the build kit for the rest of the laser.

100mW green laser module is $56 I think, I don't know Jay's build kit cost.

Anyhow, 100mW will be bright as hell, and have a rock solid visible beam, it will cut and melt thin plastic, although you will have some difficulties igniting a match with it.
But it is doable :D

Just to make sure you know:
TOP NOTCH quality lasers, best there is:
Optotronics (<-main forum fav I believe)
LaserGlow (current record holder for most powerful handheld green laser, Hercules)
NOVAlasers
DragonLasers

Medium on price/quality, great for hobbyist apps:
Rayfoss
O-like

STAY AWAY FROM (when comes to finished lasers)
DealExtreme
FocalPrice
DinoDirect

Last ones are good for misc electronic parts and hosts for lasers here and there, but finished laser-related products usually suck bad.

if your budget is ~200$ just buy this you can get a 200mw focusable laser for 150$ it can do a lot more things than a 100mw like light matches in 2secs and pop balloons instantly
www.rayfoss.com

stuart :)

Thanks guys. Building one really sounds like fun.
You have no idea...
Welcome to the best addiction of your life :D
BTW, also
WELCOME
to the forum!

Don't forget to go through Stickies and FAQ topics, they will give you answers to many questions you may have!

Yes I have one. This is a cool looking laser. It is adjustable and waterproof. It also looks really cool and its cheap.
Link!

If you want beam, go for 150mW+. My 125mW laser's beam is just barely visible in a lit room, and you have to be standing behind it to really notice the beam at night.

BTW, I wouldn't go for a DIY. If you want maximum quality, and a really solid heatsink with a good duty cycle, look at some of Rayfoss's heavier hosts. Like this: http://www.rayfoss.com/productn.asp?ArticleID=37

Last edited:
If you want to keep the price down...and you're good at building...I would recommend going for the DIY option.

Otherwise, check out O-Like or Rayfoss for cheaper alternatives
Or CNI, DragonLasers, Optotronics, LaserGlow, etc, etc. if you want REALLY good quality.

Yes, green will be most visible and if you want to burn I would recommend 100mW or more. If you want a visible beam in a lit room you will need a lot more power.

Last edited: