Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to get a hand-held (portable) 3B laser in the U.S.

Again, I would suggest a 405nm laser, and I would suggest builders from the forums. If you go with a respected and well-known builder (you can tell by how much rep power they have), you're sure to get excellent customer service and a cheaper build than you can get anywhere.

Also - if you end up not getting what you wanted or they end up scamming you, you can always file a dispute with paypal and get your money back.

rep power--I'll keep an eye out for that and try to figure out the custom forum threads.

Unfortunately, it's rare to see a 405nm laser sold openly in the public eye anymore. Most of the builders here make 445nm or 635nm lasers because they are the most desireable. Good burners, high power, and best for beam viewing. And, they bring in the most profit and the most business. So if you are looking for a 405nm laser, I would advise PMing some of the better builders. Some names would be Lazeerer, jayrob, rhd, Flaminpyro, and myself. I would offer my own services, but again, I'm not home till the 5th.

Just an FYI,

Kipkay is not exactly the best guy to go to for laser stuff.

I'll admit that his little "trick toys" and stuff are nice, but he really doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to lasers. (Hot glue? Really?)

About adjusting the potentiometer, aka "pot", it'll fry your laser REALLY quick. So, don't do it.

Kipkay is not exactly the best guy to go to for laser stuff. Adjusting the pot will fry your laser REALLY quick. So, don't do it.

I understand a thing or two about electronics, enough to know that decreasing the pot's resistance (R) decreases its current draw, but in a series circuit current (I) is constant, which means the diode (R in this case) draws more current. A short in a circuit reduces resistance and draws enough current to overheat the shorted component(s) or trace(s), as would happen to the diode in a laser.

However.... really quick is relative, and the laser I got was <$6 and shipped in <one week. I can afford to burn a few of those up (and frankly I've been wanting to know what it'd smell like compared to a regular LED).

I am investing in a proper burning laser, though; these Chinese El Cheapos are just that: cheap. No quality.

You could get a one watt Dragon Spartan 1 watt for about 230 us dollars. a little more than what you want to pay but it is built solid and very reliable. I can burn my name into leather from nine feet away without having extra optics for it..They are from China but are very reputable. they have a fb page as well. Laser pen shop also has some decent lasers but you have to pick and choose. they take about three or four weeks to arrive. They even have high powered IR lasers that are focusable. Goggles too. get the ones for the right wave lenght

You could get a one watt Dragon Spartan 1 watt for about 230 us dollars. a little more than what you want to pay but it is built solid and very reliable. I can burn my name into leather from nine feet away without having extra optics for it..They are from China but are very reputable. they have a fb page as well. Laser pen shop also has some decent lasers but you have to pick and choose. they take about three or four weeks to arrive. They even have high powered IR lasers that are focusable. Goggles too. get the ones for the right wave lenght

Awesome, thanks!

I recently (well not-so-recently anymore) commissioned Lazeerer to make me one, and it seems like it will be a nice build, coming in a 1.6W for $220. His prices definitely seemed to be better than the websites but he's been stretching out the schedule each time I check to see how it's going. I guess you get what you pay for. . . .