Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to buy first laser for farm use...

Awesome man, thanks apex, Im going to go ahead and order one today, whats the battery life like on these? just curious if I need to order another battery, and I remember you mentioned not to leave these on for more than 10 minutes at a time is this laser one that should only be one for a minute or two at a time? Are the lasers the same in the group buy as the website? sorry for so many questions....

The batteries that they come with are a little sad so I would suggest getting a better one. Here re a couple good batteries you would use:

Best for reliable high output but not the best runtimes:
AW IMR16340 550 mAh IMR CR123 size LiMN Rechargeable Lithium Battery

Longer lasting and protected so you can't ruin it by over discharge/charge:
AW RCR123a Protected 750 mAh Battery

You should try not to leave any handheld laser on for too long. They build up heat internally and with no active cooling system they have a limited time until they overheat. This whole thing is called the lasers' duty cycle and I would suggest maybe 3 minutes on that laser to be safe but you could probably do 5 if you felt like it. That part you just judge based on feel really. If the laser feels too hot turn it off and wait for it to cool.

The 300mW 650nm laser in the link I gave you to laserBTB is the same laser that is part of the GB.

Last edited:
Ok thanks again Apex, I went ahead and ordered one from the website you gave me, I used the Fedex shipping method during checkout, kinda nervous buying something like that from china but well see. In the mean time Ill pick up a couple batteries. Hopefully I can get some pics posted on here when its all setup? Im excited to try it out, wonder how long shipping will take...

@Infinitus, you may be surprised how little light you need to be able to improve visibility through a scope. I live quite smack in the middle of the city so its damn well lit outside but I can still visibly see the difference and on top of that my eyes were far from acclimated to low light so the benefit would be far better in a real situation. I am now looking into a gun mount for my laser...

Huh, well, I've never actually tried using a laser for illumination with a scope.

I guess maybe it's a question of range... under 1000 feet, imo a flashlight is the way to go, though of course it would not be red.

I guess maybe it's a question of range... under 1000 feet, imo a flashlight is the way to go, though of course it would not be red.

And there lies the problem. According to the OP the white light doesn't work because it spooks them but a single wavelength light source doesn't spook them as much. I actually find this fascinating and would love to test why it may do that. Flashlights have too much flood and would illuminate a lot of area around a target and that could also be a reason it would spook them more. Its possible their sensitivity to red light is even lower than ours, especially when their eyes are adjusted for dark which would be far more of an adjustment than our eyes can do.

Anyway flashlights are out for any range and a nice single mode 650nm laser works well for very long distances. I'll bet even 300mW would illuminate their eyes 10K feet if your scope was good enough XD

@OP
You may want to look into getting a gun mount because I highly doubt your hands will be steady enough to hold the laser especially without risking dropping it.

Last edited:
I don't entirely agree that flashlights would be of no use... but it would have to be a custom made light.

There are red LEDs out there with respectable output, combine one with a flashlight with either a large reflector, or an aspheric lens, and you will produce a tight stop with very little spill.

The problem is really budget.... trying out a new 650nm laser is way cheaper vs a decent flashlight.

Is a red LED a single wavelength like a laser(we have yet to determine if that may be a reason they don't spook animals as much)? Also, wouldn't you end up with a lot of size/weight with a larger reflector or a big lens? Its intended to be mounted on a gun so my take on the flashlight would assume the optics may end up too large or heavy for it to work. I guess given enough money and time one could make a lightweight and compact flashlight with optics for it but a laser is cheaper and ready to go.

Yes, there are specific wavelength LEDs. 445, 532, and some red. I have a blue and had a green (put wrong battery in and poof :p) but there are other colors as well.

This discussion actually makes me want to see if I can find a larger filter to place on my crelant with aspheric head.

In terms of size, it is kind of an issue, but not a huge one. On the upside the flashlight you would be able to likely run until the batteries run down over a couple of hours.

What I was thinking was something like this;

Crelant Aspheric Collimator Head
Crelant 7G5CS 895 Lumen Long throw Flashlight

But with a specific color LED substituted for the XML emitter.

In terms of weight, it's a bit top heavy, the light with the aspheric head I mean, but not excessively so. I'm certainly not talking about strapping one of those ebay HID's on :tinfoil:

I plan on mounting the laser above the scope of the rifle, that should be no problem, their are mounts made for that. Its ordered, how long should I expect the shipping from China?

GB is closing monday. I would imagine money will be sent to Skylasers by the end of the week, most likely wednesday/tuesday.

After that, figure on 1-2 weeks to receive the laser. Last time most of the lasers were shipped a week after money was sent, but slow shipping was used... this time it's via fedex.

I ordered mine from laserbtb.com not the GB. I dont have a paypal setup so it was easier that way but I did use fedex as a shipping method during checkout...

In that case, my guess is a week or so :)

Please post how it works out for you? I'm very curious to see whether it works... unfortunately NJ laws are kind of asinine when it comes to guns, so I don't own anything with a scope.

Last edited:
I hope it works out. That laser just as a laser pointer should be fun either way lol