Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to buy first laser for farm use...

HI, I have been reading this forum for awhile now and haven't found exactly what Im looking for. I searched for some lasers for coyote hunting but couldnt find anything like I was looking for. Coyotes are killing my chickens and I need a laser system just like the ND3 or ND5 by laser genetics. Ill figure out how to mount it to a rifle later. Only problem is I dont have $300 for the laser genetics laser. I need something like the nd3 or ND5 but in red. Ive used LED lights but found that I need the power and distance of a laser system. max distance is 300 yards. beam at least 10ft wide....or focusable...

Can someone give me a link to where to buy a red laser that is comparable to the ND3 or ND5 for a decent price or is their no such thing? Or buy off someone on the forum if thats an option....any help is appreciated...Cory

It would be easier to help you if YOU provided a link to
what you are referring to..

The only ND3 or ND anything reference that I know of
are Neutral Density Filters.

I'm not sure if you are looking for gun sight for aiming
or a Laser to illuminate the scene...

You have not provided enough clear information...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time through our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
What would be the purpose of the laser? To illuminate the coyote at a distance?

For that you would be better off with a good flashlight... that has good throw. You can definitely find one for well under $100. The crelant 7g5cs for example, or jetbeam m2s, or similar. You can probably add a color filter for red.

A red light LED can also be made... a phatlight with an aspheric.

A laser makes for a fairly lousy light... the ND3 and ND5 are just well build green lasers with a beam expander, not much more.... They are primarily meant to either signal for help or to point something out. Not really for lighting.

http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd5-laser-designator.aspx

Last edited:
I bet the OP is referring to night vision illumination, such as ND5 Green Laser for search and rescue and EMT | Laser Genetics

The ND5 is a 200mW 532nm laser diode (349$). The ND3 is 18mW version (329$) in same color.

The OP could jump on the Group Buy going on now. Any of these are cheaper substitutes for the ND products.

HL532- 50mW website price $44.27 Offroads GB price $38
HL532- 150mW website price $108.33 Offroads GB price $85
HL532- 300mW website price $188.40 Offroads GB price $145

Edit: Blast it. InfinitusEquitas already figured it out. I took too long to post my reply. Good work, Inf. :)

Last edited:
sorry I wasn't specific enough on the laser genetics info, thanks pschlosser for that info which laser would you recommend for a 10ft wide beam out to 300 yards? are they adjustable, are they red?....thanks again

If you want illumination then why not use a Flashlight
suggested in post #3...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time through our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

sorry I wasn't specific enough on the laser genetics info, thanks pschlosser for that info which laser would you recommend for a 10ft wide beam out to 300 yards? are they adjustable, are they red?....thanks again

Thank you. These units come with focus knobs. And in my experience, focused wide, they will make something close to a 10 foot spot at 300 yards. Possibly smaller, though.

But...

The lasers in this group buy are powerful, particularly the 300mW one. Further, many of us are excited about these lasers, because we are hoping they are actually STRONGER than 300mW (in this example.) The downside, for you, at least, is that they cannot be on for very long - like 60 seconds at a time.

If you want to turn it on, and leave it on, for 10 minutes or more, then maybe these are not well suited for your purpose.

Further, they are GREEN (532nm), not RED. If you want red, then you might want:

HL650- 300mW website price $109.90 Offroads GB price $83

which is at 650nm.

But we may have the same problem. Overheating by being on too long. What you want is something heat-sinked really well so the diode will not over heat.

Someone more knowledgeable about the heat problem with higher-powered pointers will be able to make a better recommendation.

Let us know if you need it to operate for extended periods or not.

Edit: BTW, our eyes are more sensitive to green, than red light. Thus, you will need less brightness, in green versus red. Do you hope to use this with a scope?

Last edited:
Flashlights spook them immediately because of the white light, they also dont see the color red so that is why Im hoping for a red light, red also is ideal for night vision do to it being easy for human eyes to adjust to in the dark, green has the tendency to spook a little more but not as bad as white light, flashlights dont have the distance or power im looking for either, as far as using for extended periods that is not a big concern as ill only use it to scan or flip on for the shot, battery life is important a couple hour minimum I would hope? Yes I will be attaching it to a rifle with a scope....

"[green light] requires the least amount of eye adjustment at night."
I smell bullshit. But I guess that's the only way you can get away with charging $300 for a pointer+lens - add in a little free bullshit.

If your goal is long distance visibility while using a scope go with a HL650nm from LaserBTB. One massive thing that laser will have above most 532nm lasers is that it is a diode rather than a DPSS laser so it will be far more shock resistant. 532nm DPSS lasers (all typical 532nm lasers) use crystals and several lenses to convert 1064nm infrared laser light into 532nm laser light by using crystals and lenses so there is much more to be damaged by the shock of recoil. With a 650nm laser you have far less to be misaligned or damaged by recoil since they are far simpler.

The key to this will be to find a balance where you have enough light to see your target but not more than required since it will spook your target. I am thinking that 300mW in the group buy may just be perfect. Since you will be mounting it to a rifle you will need a mount for it. Assuming it is the same host as my 300mW HL532nm, the laser itself is 23.5mm in diameter so any mount capable of that should work.

The HL650 is focusable BTW.

Last edited:
:shrug:

IMO, using a laser for the purposes of illumination is not going to work well.

A red phatlight with a large/deep reflector, or an aspheric lens, would work. A regular flashlight would also work.

Try out a 650nm laser though... won't work, but you'll still have a nice cool laser out of it.

:shrug:

IMO, using a laser for the purposes of illumination is not going to work well.

A red phatlight with a large/deep reflector, or an aspheric lens, would work. A regular flashlight would also work.

Try out a 650nm laser though... won't work, but you'll still have a nice cool laser out of it.

I actually think it has a chance of working. He states off the bat that regular white flashlights are out so a phatlight may work but it would likely be a lot of work to shape the beam into what he is looking for.

Using the laser but slightly defocusing the beam so that it is just large enough to cover your target through a scope sounds feasible. It might not be a ton of light but you are using a scope and you only need/want just enough light to see the target anyway.

UPDATE: I just went outside and messed with my 316mW 650nm laser and the scope off my rifle. It works amazingly. I would have never guessed but even in the city the illumination is quite useable at huge distances.

@Infinitus, you may be surprised how little light you need to be able to improve visibility through a scope. I live quite smack in the middle of the city so its damn well lit outside but I can still visibly see the difference and on top of that my eyes were far from acclimated to low light so the benefit would be far better in a real situation. I am now looking into a gun mount for my laser...

Last edited:
How about an adjustable High Power flashlight with
a Red or Green filter...??

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Sorry I didnt reply back last night I left work and don't have the internet at home...

Apex- I really like the idea of the HL650, thats cool that you tried the laser with your scope, rifle scopes are made to gather as much light as possible for low light conditions like early mornings or late evenings, and the bigger the end of the scope is the better its light gathering capability will be, 50mm scopes are excellent for this. The HL650 sounds like what im looking for... where can I get one???

Infinitus- I have used high power spotlights, high power spotlights with red, amber, and green lens covers, they just simply spook the coyotes, they are very smart animals, Ive also tried LED lights which work better but still dont get the job done....However I do agree that if it doesnt work Ill have a cool laser at the end of the day..lol

Energy- Unfortunatley Ive been dealing with coyotes all my life and tried many different options, however once they get a taste of blood they won't stop coming back until all the chickens are gone, and they always find a way in....When I was younger at my mom and dads farm we started with 25 egg layers and within 7 months we were down to 2.

Laserbee- High power flashlights just don't work for what Im doing

Laserbtb.com is the site. Here is the page:
laserbtb.com/productshow.asp?id=79

There is a group buy going on right now that can enable you to grab one of these as well:
laserpointerforums.com/f55/round-2-skylaser-laserbtb-groupbuy-79091.html#post1136950