Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LOOKING FOR SSY-1 or ANY YAG LASER HEAD

Hello guys, it’s been a while but I was wondering if anyone has an ssy-1 yag head or any yag laser head that will pop holes in metal and other things like that. If so private message me and we can talk. I am willing to spend around 150-200 dollars. Thanks!

Last SSY-1 on ebay went for $200, they pop up twice or more a year there. I've bought two of the three I saw listed this year, missed one, it went too high.
In time, they show up on ebay, setup an automatic notification there for when they show up but I might be bidding against you, unless a buy it now.

I'd stick to a SSY-1, small, simple, no chiller required but this might interest you some. I don't know if it can punch holes in laser blades, it shows a rather high average power for the small .2 mJ peak power rating at 5 ns. I would have expected a hugely higher peak at that average power for such a short pulse, but the thing is just too small for that too. A SSY-1 has a peak power of something like 16 mJ/4 ns which is 4 MW, some individuals have pushed them much harder and gotten away with it, it's the Q switch which limits the safe peak power, several individuals have destroyed their switches pushing them too hard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C124628-SE...er-w-SSC-40-Power-Supply-Chiller/391664248723

Due to that sticker I wouldn't buy it expecting to punch holes without further research. Use this calculator with 8 watts of average power and a 5 ns pulse, you will see why I'm scratching my head over that sticker: http://www.ophiropt.com/laser-measu...-energy-meters/services/peak-power-calculator Maybe it's a CW laser, but then why the ns specification?

Last edited:
Thank you Alaskan!! First thing please let me win the bid lol and next is I saw the listing on eBay it says as is and for parts the fault light is on, so probably won’t get it. But do you think it is possible to build a yag laser? Like I’ve seen some people have them to where they use aluminum foil for the chamber and other household material. Also how about a ruby laser? I heard those bad boys can punch holes in steel :) or is that out of my league

diachi

Thank you Alaskan!! First thing please let me win the bid lol and next is I saw the listing on eBay it says as is and for parts the fault light is on, so probably won’t get it. But do you think it is possible to build a yag laser? Like I’ve seen some people have them to where they use aluminum foil for the chamber and other household material. Also how about a ruby laser? I heard those bad boys can punch holes in steel :) or is that out of my league

You certainly can build a YAG laser, lots of information about that on Sam's Laser FAQ.

How much steel you can punch a hole in of course depends on pulse energy and pulse width. Same goes for Ruby.

There's an old unit of measurement for pulsed lasers like that, known as "Gillettes". It's a measure of how many old style safety razor blades a laser can punch through.

SSY-1 can punch though very thin steel and aluminum if enough energy is dumped into its flash tube, I have a few of them but must also admit, I've never fired one up yet. There are members who have worked eith YAG's who can probably help with more info, if you haven't already done so, Sam's laser FAQ has a lot of info on these little units.

Thank you both! I will do some research about the ssy-1 and also Alaskan would you maybe want to sell me an ssy-1 as a Christmas present :)

Or maybe trade for my melles griot 400mw fiber laser? It’s a nice one :) with controller and power cord thingy I made a while ago, just hook it to 5v 5a power supply :)

diachi

SSY-1 can punch though very thin steel and aluminum if enough energy is dumped into its flash tube, I have a few of them but must also admit, I've never fired one up yet. There are members who have worked eith YAG's who can probably help with more info, if you haven't already done so, Sam's laser FAQ has a lot of info on these little units.

Yup, it'd be even better if one could be found with the Q-switch still in place. IIRC they don't all have them. Thankfully it's a passive Q-switch, so much easier to deal with vs a mechanical Q-switch or AO/EO Q-switch.

Congrats on being promoted to moderator btw! ;) :beer:

Thank you both! I will do some research about the ssy-1 and also Alaskan would you maybe want to sell me an ssy-1 as a Christmas present :)

Loads of info out there about the SSY-1, so that should make life way easier.

Or maybe trade for my melles griot 400mw fiber laser? It’s a nice one :) with controller and power cord thingy I made a while ago, just hook it to 5v 5a power supply :)

One of these, right?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Melles-Grio...943419?hash=item41d109a0fb:g:l8wAAOSwSZFZ1BNP

Something to keep in mind: The SSY-1 is export controlled, getting them outside of the US can be difficult. Not sure where you're located.

Be very careful if you get one, not only is the laser radiation emitted by such a laser very dangerous, they also use high voltages with dangerous amounts of energy. Recommended energy input at 100 us pulse duration: 15J at 900V. Good electrical safety practices are a must, as well as a good pair of goggles for 1064nm.

Also, please don't double post.

Last edited:
Yes that is the laser I would trade. And also I am located in Ohio :) so no problems there, so maybe if I get lucky he will want to trade or make a deal :)

Ha, I'm in Iraq and most of my SSY's are buried hopelessly deep in my belongings in Alaska. Wouldn't trade or sell it off, I am trying to get more of them for a special project to allow rapid firing due to spreading the duty cycle across six of them and I still need one more but will want spares, probably will keep buying them until I have ten. Export controlled or not, I just bought my last one from a guy in Italy which was just delivered to my home in Alaska yesterday, I sure don't want it here in Iraq. Although that one can be got at, I'm buying them, not selling.

Thanks diachi, I volunteered, seems that's how it's done lately. These little YAG's are indeed something to take great caution with, your sight can be gone in a flash from what would orherwise be a somewhat weak reflection from a laser pointer.

Last edited:
Alright so does ANYONE and I mean anyone at all have a spare SSY-1 that they will sell me please before Christmas? I really need one and can’t find them anywhere. I’ve looked at making my own but these look much simpler. Send me a PM or just tell me in this thread if you want to sell me one. Thanks guys! :)

Maybe join PhotonLexicon.com and ask in that group too. They are primarily a laser projector oriented group, but someone might have on to sell.