Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for smallest driver that can run 1.6Vf @ 450mA using 2X CR123A (4-6.4 Vin)

So I have here a HLD980300H4T diode that should produce 300mW 980nm @ 1.6V/450mA. I have a 2X CR123A LED flashlight host. What is going to be the best tiny driver? Where can I get it? Do any places offer preset current service?

I don't think I'll need any boost function because the 2X CR123A should produce a combined 6.4-3V throughout the discharge curve. the thing is, it's going to have to be SMALL... like Lava Micro FLexDrive small. I'm pretty familiar and comfortable with the FlexDrive as I've built 4 lasers using them in the past. The only difference here is that, based on the data sheet for the FlexDrive, I'll need to add an 1N4001 diode (Vf=1.1) on the input to limit the max input voltage and a shottky diode (Vf=0.4) before the laser diode to raise the load voltage. See image below...

Also I was also looking at the data sheet for the Groove V2 driver. It doesn't appear to require these additional diodes in my application AND it's only $11.

It looks like innolasers.com sells both the groove and the flex drivers.
Are there any other suitable small drivers or stores I should be looking at?

Untitledh.png

Have you considered one of the drivers used to power the 808nm pump diode in the mass produced 532nm DPSS lasers? You will need to set it up yourself, but that is easy using a dummy load and a DMM. That is what I would try first with that diode. I would also switch the battery to a 18650 instead of two 16340s. It should fit fine in their place.

Have you considered one of the drivers used to power the 808nm pump diode in the mass produced 532nm DPSS lasers? You will need to set it up yourself, but that is easy using a dummy load and a DMM. That is what I would try first with that diode. I would also switch the battery to a 18650 instead of two 16340s. It should fit fine in their place.
The driver would have to be <14mm in length and/or width to fit where I need it. Most of the pen-style drivers are too long in one direction. I'm trying to keep everything fitting in the head of a Surefir M600 scout flashlight head,

I would like to use 2X CR123A (primary, not rechargeable li-ion) because all the other accessories I use anymore are CR123. Plus the surefire host I have will not accept an 18650.

Hi,
The 16340's will fit in you light , if you use only one battery then you can make a spacer for the battery tube . One 16340 will add up to 2XCR123A voltage or a little more and are rechargeable .
Rich:)

I don't want to use a rechargeable Li-ion battery in an IR illuminator that's mounted on a rifle.

They self discharge at much higher rates than standard lithium primaries. Not well suited to long term storage or emergency planning. A protected li-ion cell loses about 5% in the first 24 hours and about 5% each month thereafter. At best, if you left a brand new fully charged li-ion in a flashlight, sight, or illuminator and picked that item up to use it 12 months later it would only be about 35% charged and could be completely depleted if sitting only 6 months after that. Ni-MH and NiCad are even worse at 2X-3X higher self discharge rate than li-ion protected cells. Primary lithium batteries only lose something like 2% per YEAR and have 10 year shelf lives.

I would hate to have a whole bunch of 18650 flashlights around during an extended power outage and most (or all) of my batteries haven't been charged for moths... possibly 1-2 years. I don't want to worry about rotating out rechargeable batteries in my devices at home and keeping them topped off. Li-ions are great if you need very high current delivery or want more capacity than primaries deliver. My 980nm application will have a fairly low power requirement and once the novelty wears off, will get used maybe once every couple months for hunting... Lithium Primary just makes more sense for this application.

I don't want to use a rechargeable Li-ion battery in an IR illuminator that's mounted on a rifle.

They self discharge at much higher rates than standard lithium primaries. Not well suited to long term storage or emergency planning. A protected li-ion cell loses about 5% in the first 24 hours and about 5% each month thereafter. At best, if you left a brand new fully charged li-ion in a flashlight, sight, or illuminator and picked that item up to use it 12 months later it would only be about 35% charged and could be completely depleted if sitting only 6 months after that. Ni-MH and NiCad are even worse at 2X-3X higher self discharge rate than li-ion protected cells. Primary lithium batteries only lose something like 2% per YEAR and have 10 year shelf lives.

I would hate to have a whole bunch of 18650 flashlights around during an extended power outage and most (or all) of my batteries haven't been charged for moths... possibly 1-2 years. I don't want to worry about rotating out rechargeable batteries in my devices at home and keeping them topped off. Li-ions are great if you need very high current delivery or want more capacity than primaries deliver. My 980nm application will have a fairly low power requirement and once the novelty wears off, will get used maybe once every couple months for hunting... Lithium Primary just makes more sense for this application.
buy acs1500 SE from xwossee bro

it is link
it is best driver now,can use 1 or 2 pcs baterry

If you just never want to recharge a battery, so be it. But, a good 18650 at 3500 mAh would still power your driver diode combination for hours at 450 mA after a year sitting. I know. I have tried it.