Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for my first laser.

1. Portability: I want it to be like a pen, so I can carry it around and store it easily.
2. Power:I want the beam to be visible in daylight and I want to be able to burn things, like light a match or pop baloons
3. Quality: I pretty much want it to be my first and last laser
4. Elusiveness: I want it to be somewhat discreet, I don't need it to be some spy gadget that is disguised as a banana
5. Warranty: Don't care about a warranty unless the laser is an unfixable one if it happens to break
6. Price: $120 is my absolute limit (unless there is one that is better for like, $10 more)
7. Looks: Don't care much but i would like it to be good looking.

Um, I guess if you need more info, just ask. Thanks,
DmD

I would take a look at dragonlasers pens, they would seem to meet most of your requirements, but make sure to get safety goggles for burning( or for pointing really, at that power at least)
For a visible beam in DAYLIGHT your gonna need probably at least a 100mw and for burning things, probably again 100mw to do it reliably.

well, what color do you want? also, if you want burning, and you want it cheap, you can get someone to mkae you a phr diode in a leadlight. this could give you a max of 130mws, and because its violet light, that much power can burn through white paper and light matches. the beam will be more or less visible depending on your age and eyesight. the cost for a newly made one would come out to be probably around 120 bucks. plus, a blu-ray laser, using the phr diode or any other bluray diode for that matter, can cause things to glow in the dark, and flouresce!!!!

haha thats alot to take in. I am not sure where to get that diode or what laser to get with it. Sorry for the late post I haven't been able to get on the internet so yeah. So if you could explain more thanks.

O-like.com, 200mW red with batteries and charger for $45 shipped, will burn like crazy, can be "hopped up" by using 2 CR2 3.6v rechargeable batteries (under $5 additional) ... Not as visible in daylight as a green laser, but definitely more visible (night or day) than a Blu-Ray at 130mW,

FocalPrice.com carries a "200mW" green for $75 shipped, but you're taking your chances, I have one that outputs over 140mW and pops ballons, matches, vinyl, electrical tape, etc plus is a SERIOUSLY bright green beam (day or night) - the drawback is you're taking a chance with Chinese quality control and could easily end up with only 60-80mW of output from the same laser (if you have access to a power meter then you could always exchange it if it were underspec, but then another 2 weeks back to China, another 2 weeks for replacement, etc etc)

OR (Best Bet) O-like.com 120-150mW green module in a Jayrob host, the hosts are in the "buy-sell-trade" forums as low as $55 (depending on your preferences) and the 150mW module from O-Like is $102, so you're a little over budget but you'll have a solid module in a very nicely engineered host, PLUS you can tell everyone you built it yourself (which literally will take you less than 4 minutes, Jayrob makes incredibly easy-to-assemble host kits).

All IMHO, of course ;)

D

Deleted member 8382

the dilda from o-like. Going to last for long and for the price...

I really would not waste my cash on dragonlasers, novalasers etc... The only thing you won't get is the visible beam on daylight, wich is really hard to get even on green lasers.

To acomplish that, you would need to waste much more money. Belive me and get a dilda, you won't get disapointed.

Well to be honest you guys know more than me. Also, I wasn't loving the idea of spending $120 on a noval laser (or other expensive brand). Also I don't mind much that I wouldn't be able to see the laser in the air. That isn't a important thing to me. I think that I want it to be powerful enough to "etch into leather" or pop a balloon or light a match. I wouldn't mind modding or making my own laser. Just tell me what you guys suggest (but to be honest I don't want to spend that much on a laser, like $100 is the most)