Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for higher power lasers

MontyRavioli

Hello, I am thinking of purchasing a high-ish power blue laser, around 3-5 Watts. Have looked at jetlasers, sanwu, wickedlasers. Any suggestions which company has higher quality products? Feel free to suggest other places to look for them as well as a certain model you prefer. Thank you for your time.

Monty

P.S. I'm from Lithuania and as far as I've looked into I can't find any regulations for lasers. If you know anything please let me know.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You have mentioned already two very good sources for lasers, Sanwu and JetLasers. I recommend checking them both out. Both have high quality products and great customer service. It's your personal preference then of which company you decide to go for.
As for Wicked Lasers, I would leave that option.

MontyRavioli

You have mentioned already two very good sources for lasers, Sanwu and JetLasers. I recommend checking them both out. Both have high quality products and great customer service. It's your personal preference then of which company you decide to go for.
As for Wicked Lasers, I would leave that option.
Any specific models you would recommend?

Both JetLasers and Sanwu build to order I believe, so you go on their site, select the host you want, select the power/colour and any accessories etc. Both companies are based in China, but produce very nice lasers. Since they are china based, you would do well to not purchase the lasers with batteries - but order batteries separately and locally, as including the batteries in the order will increase the chance that anything gets stopped at customs.

JetLasers PL-E Pro is a good host (I don't own one, but a lot of forum members do.)

For a 3-5W laser, Sanwu's Challenger and Striker hosts are my recommendation. The Guardian host is a bit small so at higher powers the duty cycle is quite limited before it'll start overheating and will need time to cool down.

As Curtis said - Avoid WickedLasers!

At that power - you must also purchase some high-quality laser safety goggles for the right wavelength, as even a very short exposure of a reflected beam can cause rapid and irreversible eye-damage. Eagle Pair (usually sourced from SurvivalLasers in the US) are often recommended. At 3-5W as well, the beam will carry a lot of energy, so you will need to be careful where you point it - The spot will carry a lot of heat.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Immo1282, got there first. The hosts he has chosen would be my recommendations as well.

In terms of laws - I know nothing specific to Lithuania - but you likely will fall under the EU regulations on lasers.

Ownership is not banned, but sale to general consumers usually is. The main way that most laser hobbyists get around this is by importing from abroad rather than buying from illegal sellers within their respective home countries.

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) - Never point a laser at another person/animal/anything with eyes, vehicle or at any aircraft. If you want to use lasers outdoors, be careful when pointing them skywards (check that a star is really a star rather than the lights of an aeroplane)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Monty! :)

You've already received some good advice on quality sources for purchasing a high power 3-5 Watt blue laser, and if you're leaning toward Jetlasers, you may also want to take a look at their "Mini" lineup; these are really anything but mini, being 232mm long and 34mm in diameter at the head.
They are everything that the PL-E Pro is at about 2/3 the size, about the only thing you'll possibly give up is a bit of runtime!

Don't forget to get the proper safety glasses/goggles for your wavelength.

Last edited:
Yes, welcome to the LPF. I hope you are able to find whatever you are looking for here. Others have given you good advice, so I won't be adding to it. :)

MontyRavioli

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Currently I'm thinking of getting the JetLasers PL-E mini 445nm 4W laser. Anyone know the duty cycles? Also should I get the eyewear from them or should I look elsewhere for the specific wavelength? What about the beam expander, anyone have any experience with it? Considering the product is shipped from china, I should buy batteries seperately, any website suggestions for EU?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Good laser choice, Monty; for your eyewear I would purchase "Eagle Pair" safety glasses from Survival Lasers International store, since you are in Lithuania.
The Jetlasers 10X beam expander is a nice addition; I don't have the 445nm mini, but I do have the J/L 465nm mini with their 10X beam expander, -Here- is a little review of it.

Definitely don't buy batteries with your laser, get them separately; I'm not real familiar with EU battery sites, but there have been some recent threads on this subject.

I was going to suggest the 10X beam expander, but Jeff beat me to it. I believe they go for $99.00 as an accessory, but don't hold me to that. They do have an adjustable mount that is worth having as well for the BE.

Yep - Definitely go for the beam expander. I know it'll be a different diode - but the divergence on my 1W Sanwu 445 is pretty rubbish and the 3x BE that I ordered alongside it does a good job at wrestling it under control.

MontyRavioli

Alright, so based on your suggestions and some personal digging I came to a conclusion. I will be ordering the JetLasers PL-E mini 445nm 4W laser with the 10x BE. For safety I chose Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 900-1700nm Laser Safety Goggles. And I found a pair of 18350's at my local vape shop - Keeppower IMR 18350 1200mAh 10A. Hope my choice is fine. Thank you friends.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Currently I'm thinking of getting the JetLasers PL-E mini 445nm 4W laser.
best choice

Anyone know the duty cycles?
THAT is a good question and one that not all agree upon.
JL makes these with unlimited duty in MIND BUT IMHO unless it merits constsnt duty.. why take the risk

NONE are actively cooled. JL tried that and it was not much better and used too much power for little result.
MY personal rule is to err on the SAFE SIDE..
AND this:
stands to reason..
when you feel the laser getting warm-- its already pretty warm inside-
when VERY warm+ very HOT inside.
When VERY hot on outside.. if you do not rest.. you can damage something and that problem is NOT covered by the JL warranty.
Equal time of rest and duty is often good enough OR waiting until the laser is no longer warm to the touch.
IN a cold environment the duty can be longer.

In the hot desert you may need much longer rest cycles.
I also use this to explain why I have SO MANY lasers... I will always have at least one ready..

Also should I get the eyewear from them or should I look elsewhere for the specific wavelength? What about the beam expander, anyone have any experience with it? Considering the product is shipped from china, I should buy batteries seperately, any website suggestions for EU?
JL prefers to NOT include any batts.. why would you?? duh. get them near home and the correct eyeware NOW!
Before you get the lasers. as for eye protection.. if it is all your can 'afford' now. get a 15$ pair that cover all the lasers that MOST of us use. Save up for the best (show respect for your eyes & the lasers) then retire you old glasses to be used fr guests.
MOST here did the dumb thing by NOT having eye protection FIRST.. I know I did.. that was MY MISTAKE
and I 'own' it.. ITs MINE!! go make your own mistakes OKay?
Would you buy a motorcycle FIRST where helmets are the LAW and without already owning a helmet FIRST??
of course not.
Lots of things can be done w/o eyewear but some are impossible or dangerously hard w/o.

Ken Hudd

Hello, I am thinking of purchasing a high-ish power blue laser, around 3-5 Watts. Have looked at jetlasers, sanwu, wickedlasers. Any suggestions which company has higher quality products? Feel free to suggest other places to look for them as well as a certain model you prefer. Thank you for your time.

Monty

P.S. I'm from Lithuania and as far as I've looked into I can't find any regulations for lasers. If you know anything please let me know.
In the US with heavier customs, I just recently purchased a Thor ultra 5w from sky_lasers in China for $209. It was shipped as a 'blue flashlight' in just 6 days to a remote rural address by DHL! This laser is incredibly powerful! Without glasses, it hurt my eyes at over 150 feet away just by hitting a treeline! You will just need to get a beam expander compatable for this model as he does not offer one. But even without the expander I am really shocked at its power!

Ken Hudd

In the US with heavier customs, I just recently purchased a Thor ultra 5w from sky_lasers in China for $209. It was shipped as a 'blue flashlight' in just 6 days to a remote rural address by DHL! This laser is incredibly powerful! Without glasses, it hurt my eyes at over 150 feet away just by hitting a treeline! You will just need to get a beam expander compatable for this model as he does not offer one. But even without the expander I am really shocked at its power!
I must add that he is on ebay, which is an extra support bonus. Just type in 'thor ultra 5w' and you will find him, it is the bh7 model.