Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for help with an IR build

I am wanting to make an IR laser and so far I am not finding many places to get IR diodes. I would like it to be in a standard TO-18 package and not C-mount unless someone knows a good way to mount them in a standard C6 heatsink. I am hoping for an output in the hundreds of milliwatts and a wavelength of 808nm or smaller so it can be slightly visible.

I am not kidding you. I don't want to buy a diode off ebay because I don't trust how easy it would be for someone to lie about the specs and I don't want to have to deal with trying to resolve the issue. Yes, I know any website could lie but that's why I am asking for sources from people who have had good experiences. If someone has a suggestion on a good source that doesn't feel like mocking me I would much appreciate it.

Last edited:
I am not kidding you. I don't want to buy a diode off ebay because I don't trust how easy it would be for someone to lie about the specs and I don't want to have to deal with trying to resolve the issue. Yes, I know any website could lie but that's why I am asking for sources from people who have had good experiences. If someone has a suggestion on a good source that doesn't feel like mocking me I would much appreciate it.

OMG.... you don't want to take a chance on eBay for ~ $4 to $8
delivered to your door from Asia..:eek:

Since you are too lazy to do your own research and need to
respond with a snide remark I'll go out of my way to SPOONFEED
you. (This time only).

I've dealt with Snoctony many times before for over $2K of Lasers
and I've never been disappointed with the LDs he supplies.

a piece 200mw 808nm laser diode TO-18 Package | eBay

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
If you ever harvested a DVD burner you should have a 780nm IR diode next to the usual 660nm red diode. You can push it to 150mW output.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/pictures-780nm-laser-build-69646.html

Dude, I totally forgot about that. Now I need to go hunt down that dead burner I stashed somewhere. Lol, thanks.

@Jerry
All I wanted was a source someone knew was reputable, which you gave me one and I am thankful. I was not asking to be spoonfed anything. I am not trying to start some flame war but you really come off as rude when I was not being so in any way. I do my own research all the time as others know and I have a logical reason to ask about a reputable source. Thanks for the link and recommendation.