Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for experienced builder - 635nm laser based on "Laser 301" / LZCS host.

Looking for experienced builder - 635nm laser based on "Laser 301" / LZCS host.

Hi all,

I would like to commission an experienced builder to possibly build a 635nm single-mode diode laser in a modified "Laser 301" / Lazerer LZCS host. I really like this style of host and can't find a suitable side-clicky flashlight host that I like so well. If you are just such a builder and would be interested in this, please PM me. I will do my best to describe my idea as completely as possible in order to assist potential builders.

I. The host. Referring to the diagram at the end of the post (from my "Laser 301" host breakdown thread) my idea for the host is as follows:

a) Minimal use of glue in the build. Due to Chinese lasers (even "good" ones) using way too much of it, I have come to dislike glue. Ideally, the build would use no glue at all.

b) The only stock parts would be parts 5, 6, and 7. These would remain without modifications, thus the laser would use a single 3.7v Li-ion cell. Parts 1 to 4 would be deleted.

c) Only the switch would be located below the button. The switch would be momentary on/off. The switch would also be of good quality, a durable, "commercial" or "industrial" grade switch that would take a long time to wear out from frequent, but ordinary use. I would be willing to pay a bit extra for that. The tactile feel of the switch is not overly important to me, just the durability/quality. I would prefer to use the stock aluminum button, with the switch located under it, but that is not mandatory and I would likely defer to the builder if they believed they had a better solution/idea for that.

(the stock host relies on the switch to be mounted on the driver board, with the whole board therefore located under the button. Definitely don't want that here; the driver board is prone to flexing downwards and if anything goes wrong this setup is just a pain to work on at all. And probably a pain to build, too!)

d) In place of parts 1 to 4 (i.e. the front end of the laser), a custom-machined part would be created. This custom front end would contain the diode module, the lens assembly, and the driver board. It would also function as the heatsink. The front end would be anodized black. It would be the same diameter as the stock host, and would be as long as the builder sees fit to contain the working parts and effectively heatsink the diode. I would prefer that the host's total length not exceed 180mm if feasible.

e) The front end would attach to the rest of the host (part 5) by whatever method the builder sees fit. The stock front end threads into part 5, but if the builder would prefer to join the parts a different way (due to wire twisting issues, etc.) I would likely go along with whatever they believe is best.

II. The laser and working parts

a) I'm inclined to just order a pre-assembled diode-and-driver unit from DTR. In this case, the Opnext 638nm 120mW single-mode with driver set to 250mA or whatever the builder thinks is best.

b) The diode module would fit into the custom front end via whatever method the builder sees fit.

c) I would prefer a long-focal length lens that doesn't lose too many mW. I don't plan on burning anything with this laser; I'm just interested in a good, clean, bright beam.

d) No custom focusing knob needed; the standard "AixiZ" little silver one is fine. I don't forsee any issues with burning my fingers.

e) Some kind of cover to go over the lens while carrying the laser would be a plus, not sure what is commonly used for that though.

III. Payment, other things.

a) Payment will be made to the satisfaction of the builder, and I am willing to pay in advance. I understand that this laser will be no cheap, "20 dollar" unit, no "sticker shock" will apply :)

b) I would prefer that the builder handle things like directing the machinist in making the custom front end and generally ordering the correct parts. I figure that the builder is the most informed person involved, so I'd rather they make whatever decisions they need to in order to create a quality laser. In general, I'm inclined to defer to the builder's experience if any design question or situation arises.

c) I really need a solid, reputable builder who is known for actually completing projects. I had a situation earlier this year involving a custom build that didn't pan out; no need to go into details as it was resolved successfully, but it was time consuming and ultimately was a wash in that I did get my money back, but never did get a laser. I would like to avoid repeating that experience.

d) In view of the above, the build time isn't a big deal. I understand that good work takes time and I would rather wait longer if it means that things will be done right.

I hope a build based on this description is feasible; it's a wordy description but externally the final laser would just look like a somewhat longer LZCS. Only the internals are radically different, due to being more modular and of higher quality.

If the build is indeed feasible, the 638nm laser would only be the first of what I hope to be a set of LZCS-based single-mode lasers, most likely including 650nm, 520nm, 450nm, and 405nm. And, if possible, a 532nm DPSS. But those are longer-term possibilities.

If you are experienced and reliable, and are interested in this, please PM me and we can talk about it. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reference picture of Laser 301 / LZCS host:

laser-301-host_zpsbc180748.jpg